Reference image licenses.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi all, A quick question, if I want to use an image from the web, say from shutterstock, and then sell the work, what license would I need?  Up until now I’ve been painting for myself without really giving it much thought. However, I’ve had friends ask if I would sell some pieces so I thought I had better make sure I’m doing the right thing.  Cheers 
If Shutterstock offers copyright free images - don't know, I've never used it - then you shouldn't need to worry about licensing; the terms and conditions of the website should tell you all you need to know. If you directly copy an artist's work, without their specific permission, you will be in breach of copyright; it is possible and permissible to make a stab at a great master and label it "by Thomas Greene, in the style of" e.g. "Botticelli", or, "after Gainsborough", or whomever.   If Shutterstock offers photographs - well, I don't know how good you are, but I could "copy" a photograph which looked VERY little like the photo.... I don't use other peoples' photographs, with the occasional exception of my brother's .... because, well: I'm not really able to.  You can always manipulate landscapes - drop something in here, leave something out there, move a mountain or two - to create your own version of a photograph.  But I wouldn't - I don't recommend, whatever the legal position, painting vistas you've never seen for yourself: I did it when I was very much younger; I was rather fond of elephants, and the only elephant I'd seen in the flesh was Rosie, of Bristol Zoo....  I wasn't selling back then (I was only 15, and basically copied pictures from the Brooke Bond tea albums)... Long digression there - to summarize: you'll be entirely safe if you never use anyone else's work as the basis for your own; you'll be pretty well fire-proof if you take images from a copyright-free site, and read their terms and conditions carefully; copyright won't normally matter for old master works, but you'd be foolish not to acknowledge their source - commercially and aesthetically rather than legally; and licensing doesn't normally come into this one way or the other - if it does, the website on which you've found the work will tell you that, and stipulate a fee. I am not a lawyer, be it said.  If in serious doubt, buy a copy of the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook, and read the advice there; or - find a friendly lawyer who'll give you advice in exchange, maybe, for a painting!  I think what I've said is basically accurate, though.   Obviously, forgery is a very different matter, but you'll not be wanting to go there!
Cheers for the reply Robert. I’m not overly worried for some paintings I’ve done where I’ve taken part of an image, or extracted part of an image and fused it with something else. I would say these are fair use and are not copies. However, I have done some paintings where the finished work is very true to the source material and I don’t want to get in trouble. I have purchased licences to copy the work but not to market it. I’m just not sure where I stand if ifs not the original image i.e. a painting of the image but I want to market/sell it. 
Maybe contact the photo’s originator and ask his or her permission to sell a painting based on their photograph?  I try to do this even if I use a copyright free image from Pixabay. You need to ask whether the person who posts the photograph is the originator/ creator of the photograph because you could get in trouble if they have uploaded or copied  someone else’s work. 
Bendor Grosvenor has an update on Tate removing copyright on its existing web images here : https://www.arthistorynews.com/articles/7707_Images_fees_and_UK_copyright_law__a_breakthrough
Gov.UK has a good section that explains this topic very well. I use a site that I pay a small monthly fee, to use high quality images of my choice but they are mainly figures, a few animals not many landscapes. Still, it suits me for getting some practice doing portraits.  I also bought a second hand decent camera, with 40x zoom, which I now use to go out and take a lot of my own reference photos. I will also look for photos 100 years old as there are less likely to be any copyright issues but you still need to check. Yes the quality is poor but they are good for ideas and shapes and can be used for practice. Better still, set up your own still life and paint what's in front of you. We don't always have time to paint from life but should when the opportunity arises.

Edited
by Denise Cat

Cheers for all the advice. I'll check out the Gov site. I just decided to pay for the images as its not much money and I'd rather not have any come back and also support other artists.