Neophobia

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Neophobia (a characteristic of rats, by the way: they don't like change - remind me, if you're feeling bored, to tell you about the strike our male rat went on when we tried to enlarge and adapt his cage: "no; not having it; put it back as it was"...).   Robert, I really do want this story. Sounds most intriguing. How did ratty go on strike, and did he get his own way? I'm sure I'd be anything but bored!
Well, as you insist. Ralph was a very large male hooded rat: I have painted his portrait, it's on my F'book page and perhaps on here.  He was just extraordinarily intelligent, and affectionate; though he wasn't entirely keen on younger male rats - whom he was inclined to flick out of his way: something he also did with my glasses when perched on my shoulder.  'You don't want those silly things - FWIP!' He had a cage, but my then partner and I thought he'd be happier in a bigger one: so, we basically fixed another cage on top of his previous home, believing that he'd like it.  But no.   He didn't.  He settled down on his usual perch in his old cage, and refused to descend, to eat, to drink, to react: he just sat there. After a day of this, his view of the matter became clear to us, and we dismantled the cage additions.  At which, he waddled down the ladder to his feeding area, emptied his food bowl, slurped a generous quantity of his water bottle, and subsequently came out of his cage to play throw the rat away - he ran to us, we caught him, threw him (gently, obviously) away from us, and he then galloped back to repeat the process until tiredness set in, and we provided him with a selection of yogurt drops. I know many people don't like rats.  But The Great Ralph (TM) was in a class of his own.  He cashed in his chips in 1997: and I have never forgotten him.  
Thank-you, loved it! I think previously you told me that the Great Ralph also liked Baileys Irish Cream and would dart out from his hiding place to drink it if a glass was put on the floor. Hope I've remembered this correctly. He certainly sounds to have been full of character, I didn't know you could play with them. Is he the one you use for a signature?
It wasn't you I saw many years ago in Covent Garden Robert, was it?  This guy with a red ,white and blue Mohican hair do and a red , white and blue(dyed ) ratty on his shoulder... 
Sylvia, no - that was not me: I did know a youth who went in for the hair-style and liked rats: I wonder if he has any hair left at all now - all that dyeing and bleaching - not good for the little follicles. Sandra, yes, Ralph would certainly nip around the back of the sofa, and creep forward to take a glug from any glass of spiritous liquor he could lay his paws on: Bailey's Irish Cream was particularly appreciated, though I also caught him wedged into a glass of an American bourbon - forgotten what it was called for the moment ... Jack Daniels, that's it.  Then he'd have a nice long sleep.  My signature rat is a generic one, never very carefully painted because I want it to be there, but not to become the subject by default.  I suppose it's fairly childish, but then - I am.