LAOTY 2024

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
I am watching Landscape Artist of the year and I recognise Anil Patel. I think he has been in it at least twice before? I wonder why they invite the same people back? Wouldn't it be better to give others a chance? What do you think? (Nothing against Anil personally of course!).
I thought I recognised him also. Strange they didn’t mention it, as they did one of the others. I wasn’t too impressed with the painting that won, though I did think his initial entry painting was excellent. I preferred the lady of the last three. I think you’re probably right Diane, give others a chance who haven’t been in before, but don’t feel strongly on that.
I recognised Anil but think he was in the BBC programme where one was knocked out each week. I could be wrong. Didn’t agree on the winner.
As it's on Sky, I wouldn't watch it on principle, given who owns it.  Well, I say that - if I were sufficiently interested, I probably would; but I don't like the whole concept of these shows, which strike me as being Bake-Off with paint. Our regular viewers will know, of course, that I'm a miserable old Wotsit.... I presume Anil Patel, whoever he is, is seeking to make a name as a professional artist - well.... good luck with that; I can't help feeling though that there's a bit more to it than just gaining exposure on a TV programme, if you're after a career (assuming you can establish one) that lasts.  Rupert Cordeux, of Watercolour Challenge fame (and a very fine artist), could tell you how difficult that is, particularly if you're working in traditional media and painting figuratively.   I don't know if Anil's repeated appearances are fair to others or not - if you're right that he's been on before - but I'm not at all sure that a repeated presence on TV shows is necessarily likely to help.  Coming back as a teacher, guide, or judge, on the other hand, might be good for him.
Anil Patel - just looked him up. Diane, he was previously on BBC’s Big Painting Challenge. Apparently you can still watch that. Thought I recognised him. 

Edited
by Marjorie Firth

Yes, he was on that programme Marjorie and also on LAOTY 2017 and 2020 I believe.  I think he's already doing well as a professional artist Robert. I always enjoy watching the programme but rarely agree  with the judges decisions.
Just watched it on my recorder.  I agree with Tessa's thoughts on the final three. Anil's is a familiar face.   Robert, it's on Freeview, we don't have to pay certain individuals any money. You are missing much from that channel. Januschek is fronting a series on Mannerism soon. I'm afraid the Beeb have vacated their role in the arts of late. Re these types of programs, I enjoy watching how others apply paint, and the choices they make when presented with a scene, or a face. And it's not becoming formulaic like the Bake Off or the pottery one which is gradually heading that way.
Yes I recognised him too. I was a bit surprised who went through - I liked work by the guy who had taken 10 years to do his submission painting. It's nice to have it back on TV though.
The wild card, I liked the painting she did. I think they all had a very difficult task. If I had known about it, I would have had a wander down there myself.
A shame you missed that Denise. It was I thought a terrifically difficult and complicated scene whichever way you looked.

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

That’s a bit harsh….
Showing page 1 of 2