Landscape Artist of the Year

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
As an Orkney resident , I feel whoever wins the commission they have to be up to the task , Orkney is magnificent  wherever you look the artist will need to capture that 
I agree about the ipad thing Tessa. Perhaps they need it for detail, although some of them barely look up at the subject.
Norrette Moore on 02/02/2024 11:23:44
I would be insulted if I were the sitter!
As an Orkney resident , I feel whoever wins the commission they have to be up to the task , Orkney is magnificent  wherever you look the artist will need to capture that 
Gillian Cooke on 02/02/2024 12:18:47
You are very right there Gillian from what I’ve seen. You live in a very beautiful part of the world. It’s on my bucket list! 🤞
I would have liked Daniel Sharples to have gone through. His paintings had real atmosphere.
I agree. He has some wonderful work on his website- worth a look.
He is a fantastic painter! I like everything he does. What talent.
I was hoping for Daniel to go through too. I was hoping Andrew would be in the top three. I watch him on Youtube, love his charcoal drawings and have seen his work when he has exhibited at the RBSA. Re PAOTY, I wish phones/ipads were not allowed. To me, it just goes against the whole idea of painting a live model.
When the competition started some years ago, I though it wasn't cricket to paint from an iPad photo of the scene. I've changed my mind. The artists are distracted by all the people watching them and their chats with the judges. At least with an Ipad photo, it doesn't change during the 4 hour competition. Especially for the portrait competition, the sitters fidget and look around, and may change their pose. Some of the contestants are positioned in odd places and don't have a good view of the sitter, or the landscapes.
Just watched my recording.  Yes, some were at an awkward angle. Now going to search for articles on Brusho, used by one of the contestants, which looked interesting.
Showing page 2 of 2