GREAT ORMOND ST CHARITY AUCTION

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
<div style="text-align: center; color: rgb(255, 255, 51);">WELL DONE EVERYBODY. My addition is not amazing but I make it £845.00 WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! </div>
How interesting this is Keith. My daughter once gave me an old artist magazine that she had found in a charity shop too. It is somewhere among all my pile of papers. I love to look at it once in a while.
Yes, I think it's interesting to look at art books (and in this case magazines) and see how the design of these publications have changed. In art books printed more than 20 or 30 years ago, colour printing techniques seem rather limited in that colours are not that true to the original. And the colour printing must have been expensive, since even high quality academic art books still had many of the pictures printed in monochrome rather than colour. For instructional art books, design and layour and use of colour seemed to get better in the 1980s.
Perhaps the black and white illustrations imbued folk with a better grasp of tonal values back then.