Fabulous Book

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
Artist who are serious about their art  will love this book. As it says on the cover. A contemporary Guide to Colour Mixing, Pigments, Palettes, and Harmony. Hard back super quality, beautiful paintings as well.
Thanks for sharing this, John. I have tried oils, a while back. Wednesday, I bought some inexpensive canvas, they're mounted on wood, 3, 30x40cm big enough for me, and a roll of canvas. I'll put some gesso on them, but first I'll have a look for this book for guidance. I'm guessing its an American artist due to the spelling of 'color'
Another one for the library!
I did not mention it but, I got my copy from Amazon. Canvas boards are great for oils come in all sizes to practice on. Then when you have an idea for serious painting thats the time for a canvas, thats what I do. 
Don’t be cheeky Robert lol. NO it’s a book you can really learn from extremely informative. And very well researched. As for pigments the subject often comes up. Alizarin crimson the last one remember.😜
I've had a look at this book, John, it seems the one to have 'to learn'  Anyone can get any info required, from the internet, to write an epitaph length about the use and make-up of any medium, but when it comes to actually putting words into action, actually painting and using a medium with any expertise, is another matter. I've ordered this, from Amazon, on your recommendation, should arrive April 2. Thanks again.  

Edited
by Carol Jones

Content aside its a beautiful book, very in-depth. Enjoy Carol.

Edited
by John Graham Inkson

When I say "library", I mean my own modest collection - I'm having to get another bookcase; it is mostly art books I buy these days, but I do want to complete my Trollope collection.  I shall acquire these two - the Aiken book and this one; haven't bought the Crawshaw book yet, either ....so many books, so little time....
Robert you are a book a very interesting one at that with your knowledge you share here in the forum. 
Flatterer!, he said, fluttering his fan and blushing prettily ...  This seems a good point to remind everyone that my classic tome OIl Paint Basics remains on the Amazon Kindle Store, at a bargain price!  Beat down the doors and get yours today! Point is, to be serious (not that I'm not) I believe if one has knowledge one should share it: mine derives from ca. 55 years of painting, reading, and, crucially, working with others.  It does not come, and people need to bear this in mind, from an academic art education.  I think I probably know more than some trained artists about what actually goes into the paint they use - but if in doubt, you should always try to double-check anything I tell you; time and knowledge march on while some of us stay still; I try to keep up to speed, but can't guarantee it. Which leads me to a confessed area of ignorance, confusion, neurosis, fear, want of courage - well, dammit, plain Caspar Milquetoast levels of impracticality.  I could do with help from someone who'd do it for love (and of course one is intensely lovable) with getting my e-book into hard-copy publishable form.  It works fine as an e-book, though is not overly illustrated: that could be rectified, as could the fact that a re-write in places is called for.  But you can't just convert a set of pdf's into a physical book; I quail at the task. A small fee may be forthcoming, but mate's rates are preferred. 
Robert, if that happens please alert us via the forum, as I'd be happy to purchase it in hard copy. I have the e-book but unfortunately my kindle doesn't do colour so the illustrations are black and white. There is enough of interest even for those working in acrylics.
When I say "library", I mean my own modest collection - I'm having to get another bookcase; it is mostly art books I buy these days, but I do want to complete my Trollope collection.  I shall acquire these two - the Aiken book and this one; haven't bought the Crawshaw book yet, either ....so many books, so little time....
Robert Jones, NAPA on 29/03/2024 14:04:43
Showing page 1 of 2