easel and canvas

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
This is the easel of a busy working artist, It’s not a piece of furniture to admire! It lives in my studio, and any dried oil paint doesn’t detract from its ability to hold a canvas or board… Its probably had something in the region of a thousand finished works painted on it since I bought it… 
Alan Bickley on 23/02/2024 20:59:54
WOW! Just for interest Alan when did you buy it?
Why?   That is an easel well used and loved.. your hands ,face and clothes will also get claggy.
Sylvia Evans on 23/02/2024 20:05:52
And just be aware James that acrylic paint does not wash out (of clothes, carpet, furniture, car upholstery that is. With some effort you can get it off hands and face).
O'my god Claggy is the way to go lol How on earth do you let your easel get in to that condition ?   I will be adding some sand paper to the bottom of mine 
James Hodds on 23/02/2024 19:43:44
I’d have thought sandpaper is liable to damage the canvas, even if the canvas is primed. why not just sand off the shiny new varnish on the bottom rail, or stick a strip of rubber on it but not sandpaper.  I’m with Alan, my easel is equally messy, and I use masking tape if I need to keep an edge particularly clean. 
All easels have a similar clamping mechanism, nothing different about the studio easel… So, you aren’t missing the point here Robert, all will be well I’m sure when its got a few layers of oil paint splattered on it, instead of that shiny layer of varnish! Here’s my easel, I don’t have the time or inclination to even think about masking tape or Velcro - get it used!
Alan Bickley on 23/02/2024 10:29:43
Looks like my easel Alan, maybe mine looks in worse shape. Mine is antique.  Got it unused but with a little woodworm spattered about. Treated it and was good to go.  I have the same thoughts, not having the time to mess around, nor the inclination. By hook or by crook I’m always good to go!
Showing page 2 of 2