Early days of fine art degree.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Having done similar 'performances' with new students when I was teaching, I'm surprised that so many here seem to find this event so unusual and/or outrageous. Such readiness—enthusiasm?—to dismiss on so little information doesn't suggest much by way of a fertile imagination. Apart from indicating the student/tutor relationships were not going to be what the students were accustomed to from school, that they shouldn't let fear of making a fool of themselves inhibit their work because I was quite willing to make a fool of myself too, that I would try to be open to their ideas no matter how outrageous they might at first seem because there are no absolute right ways to 'do it', that I wanted our time together to be fun as well as serious, apart from all of this and more, I found that the individual responses to such 'events' were really quite informative and could tell me a fair bit about who was likely to be a risk-taker and who would play safe.
I don't think I want to be known as 'Bucket Head' Sylvia...although, come to think of it, I've been called worse.
Hey I'm wearing a tin helmet Syd - perhaps we should join forces
Neither sounds like a "cumfy" nightcap to me!
The only joke on this forum is you Syd - or hadn't you noticed? Lecturers devise opening poses or comment with serious intention to alert their students. To ask John Petty to disclose his 'performances' taken out of context just for your amusement is insulting. I remember once in a Life Class the tutor set up the model on a chair after about 5 minutes she fainted and collapsed on the floor. The class 'woke up' and a few left their 'donkeys' to give assistance. The tutor intervened and pointed out that we weren't really alert and looking until the model's startling collapse happened. The rest of the time was spent closely studying the collapsed pose and coping with unusual foreshortening of the body and limbs. I'm astonished by the antagonism expressed over the 'bucket on head' man - all taken out of context because we don't know the full story.

Edited
by robK2

Thanks for your helpful comment Annette - I'm sure you benefitted from your time at Art School as I did. Short instructional courses can be very helpful - I went to an excellent week-end course on Pastels run by Moira Huntley and John Blockley. John's critical comments, in particular, were good. These courses though are usually confined to a specific medium or subject. An Art School Foundation course will take in a much wider view. For anyone who left school early and feels disappointed with their education there are wonderful opportunities now. The Open College of the Arts is the obvious first place to explore. Don't let age put you off!
I'm greatly puzzled. Is there a rule here that I'm not aware of? A rule that says that those to be mocked and dismissed must be those who are not here to explain or defend their actions and about whom we have little knowledge, other than a second-hand, reported sentence or two? A rule in which the footnotes say that under no circumstances must any such mocking or dismissal be directed at anyone carrying the prestige user or esteemed user appendage, acquired simply because of the time they spend on this forum.
The only rule here (basically - there is still a set of guidelines up at the top of the page, if you dig for it: most don't need to because they avoid being offensive anyway) is that you do not disparage others or be rude to them; that doesn't mean you can't argue with them.
Hmmm. Looks as if you're right - I assumed it was all still there, but it isn't - so maybe time for a re-write, Dawn? The Welcome to the Online Forum doesn't contain any conduct guidelines at all, and other entries refer to the site as it used to be, and also don't relate to conduct. A rule for all forums though is that members should show consideration to others and avoid abuse, personal comment of a nature likely to be unwelcome, and obviously the usual caveats about racism, sexism and so on. That should cover most eventualities, and we don't want too many rules and regulations - but I do think a quick summary would be helpful. In the meantime - I think a good rule would be don't say things to people you wouldn't say face to face, assuming you knew them well enough to chance your arm; and if you don't know them, other than electronically, don't speak to them as you might to an old friend who would know if you were being serious or not (even if you do know them personally, others don't know that and might still object to personal comments). As a general rule, "Just be polite" has a lot to be said for it.
Your dislike of what you call attention seeking behaviour has clouded your judgment Robert it is appropriate on occasion as when attracting the attention of a group of new students who you may not have met before. It's analogous to an entertainer going on stage to catch the attention of his audience. .As for a sense of humour - believe it or not I am blessed with that sense - but there is a time and place. I admit I do not feel at ease on this forum any more. Taking a wider view there is a lot happening in the art world: Hockney's major exhibitions, An exhibition of Raphael's Drawings in the Ashmolean, and in the National Portrait Gallery an exhibition of Cezanne's portraits. I was discussing Cezanne with one of my friends at our local painting group last Wednesday. There is a greater incentive to be with a friendly group of painters there than it is to come here.

Edited
by robK2

Don't be too sad Sylvia, many stupid old men enjoy a bit of bickering, it helps pass the time when you're too old for rugby!
cool
Showing page 2 of 2