WHY A SOLUTION MUST NOW BE REACHED BEFORE WE LOSE GENUINE CONTRIBUTORS TO POL.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Welcome to the forum, and I think I agree with Pat and Syd on this - I don't know the brand, or what's in the paint: I'm presuming there are no toxic ingredients given they seem to be for children and students, and if they are actually made in Germany where standards are high, I doubt that there will be. If giving watercolours to children - depending on how old they are, I'd probably give them poster paint or gouache to play with rather than the more difficult watercolour, but it all depends on requirements, age and so on. If I were to give them watercolours, I'd have two first choices - one is the White Knights brand, in pans, together with a couple of sturdy brushes to get the paint moving; the other would be Cotman watercolours from Winsor and Newton. They're not ultra-cheap, but they are very inexpensive - and a lot of serious artists use them. I'm not keen on them for serious work, but they're great for sketches and getting to know the properties of watercolour. The sets to avoid are those in soft plastic tubes, many of which come from the far East - the paint may be fine, in fact, but the tubes do crack, and very often they're fuller of air than of paint: I was given a set some time ago, and while a) I don't look gift-horses in the mouth, b) I've no real complaint about the paint that emerged, I squeezed one tube and it basically just broke wind: full of air and gum arabic.....
This thread is one reason why I rarely post to this Forum these days. There is little talk about contemporary painters or painting. I don't want to come here to discuss paint sets or paint boxes - trivial. Hockney has occasional mention - he seems to be the man of the moment. There was a post concerning Bernard Dunston who recently died. A pity the notice didn't show one of his paintings in memory of him..
Hi Rob, I'm sure there are lots of people reading the forum who would be interested in posts about contemporary painters or painting, why don't you start one and see how it goes? It was me who posted about the sad passing of Bernard Dunstan, one of our very greats in my opinion. Although I did indeed share one of my favourite paintings of his on that post, there are plenty online if you search google images. Also there's a nice piece here in his memory which you might like, which features a small video of him working in his studio together with his wife Diana Armfield. Both Royal Academicians of course. https://makingamark.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/bernard-dunstan-ra-pprwa-neac-1920-2017.html Of course there are also the books which are a fantastic resource for painters... Composing your paintings, Painting methods of the impressionists, Paintings in progress, the paintings of Bernard Dunstan etc. I think I've got them all! All the best, Haidee-Jo
some times I feel I am intruding talking about art on here some don't want to, and divert back to chat, mind you if they said something funny(some have to say some thing if it is nowt,)) what about the Irish man with a metal detector who dug down ten feet before he realised he wore steel tipped boots...
Showing page 2 of 2