Understanding Colour

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Tony Pauls article in Febs LP magazine is worth a read. Most colour pencils have not good lightfastness Oil Pastels have no oil in them but are made of animal fat and wax mixed with low grade pigments not light fast and never dry.Oil paintings dont dry. the paint oxidises until it is hard and this can take several . weeks. But you knew all this didnt you,...but theres more.But you have to buy the magazine and we know how that vexes the English to spend money but describe tihe Scots as mean to hide this fact. Lol ...Syd
Yes, knew that..... there are coloured pencils with good lightfastness, though. What interests me about oil pastels - indeed, they're not oil paint - is that it was said once upon a time that they could be used under oil paint (eg to sketch out the work) and thinned with turps; and this would be OK. I wonder if Tony Paul agrees with that (I hope so, because I know I've used them for this purpose, but can't now remember which paintings I used them on). Possibly this should be in the oil thread........... rather than here. I think I'll ask the question there - you never know: Tony Paul might even look in.......