IS THERE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A POORLY EXECUTED PAINTING AND A NAIVE PAINTING?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Michael - had the same trouble with definition, as you'll see. Some work on the gallery isn't very good, no - (Margaret and Syd): but that's no problem if it's beginners' work looking for advice (or not even looking for advice). If this were a commercial gallery, some of the paintings and digital work too wouldn't get shown, because it would bring the standard down and lead people to think the gallery just didn't know what it was doing. But I do think it's important to remember this ISN'T a commercial gallery, and the same standards don't apply - while I think there's a bit too much 'churn', in that you post a picture in the morning and by the afternoon it's on page 15 if you're lucky because some of our contributors are a touch incontinent (and there's an awful lot of them), this gallery is unusual because it gives everyone a chance to show what they can do. If there's an ideal way of managing this, or just a better way - I think Tao Berry has raised the old question of a limitation on numbers of postings permitted (she won't know it's an old question, but we have been here before) - I honestly don't know what it might be, for one. But, and Dawn will correct me if I'm wrong, I think the remit here is to provide a space to show work that might not otherwise see the light of day and that the company providing this site for us believes in maximum inclusivity. There's no selection panel, and so far as I can see the problems this might create in terms of quality can't be overcome other than by our all doing our best to keep the standard of our stuff as high as we can .... now there's a challenge....
Wouldn't it be dominated by the those who regularly comment on each others work regardless? A sort of exclusive club ? Mmm - not sure.
Not keen on the idea, personally, Pat.....
It's an open gallery so I see no reason to have it changed. Look at what you want, live and let live as someone said in response to another debate about quality of works posted. It's all in the eye of the beholder.
I am zipping my mouth in future😢
Me and my beloved are always saying "if it ain't broke - don't fix it! I think we will all agree to differ after all we can't please everyone all of the time!
Showing page 2 of 2