Ego and the Artist

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I'm fairly new to the whole Facebook thing and recently I was asked to enter an international art contest ; so I put in a watercolour that I was very happy with and thought no more about it . This morning I received a message from the admin asking me to vote on his sculpture of two bullocks heads ( I'm serious ) " as it is " very attractive to the eye " , i asked " how does your contest work ? is it on votes ? " he said " yes it's votes and I give out certs for what I think is special " I replied " well I've seen some dreadful art with a huge amount of votes and some brilliant art with none , which isn't exactly fair " He stated " well these people have many friends , I have explained all to you ..... please liking my two bullocks heads " I'm still laughing , I had a look again on site it seems this man has won every award in the book , he also has a massive ego ; I would be interested to hear any stories of artists of this type as I find such types hilarious . Ps I never gave the two headed sculpture a like or a mention
I used to belong to the photo website photosig and it was the same: the more friends you had the better your photos seemed, despite the fact that they might have been rubbish. In the end I stopped submitting photos but spent my time giving honest crits. It didn't chAnge anything but it satisfied me. Photosigdied eventually which is a shame. D
There has been a competition recently I first found it via POL. It was Greenfingers and for a very good cause, terminal care for children . It specified flower paintings. I submitted three, each carried a fee of £5.00 which hopefully went directly to the charity . I was very happy to pay it. Then I realised that it was on votes by the general public. I submitted my paintings last October so they were buried deep in the recesses of the listings. It finished a few weeks ago , and unless you knew it was actually there and where to look , you didn't stand a chance. I suppose I could have touted it about but really couldn't be bothered. Hopefully my submission fee helped , but yes these things are a bit pointless.
Actually Dermot it never ceases to amaze me how many charities think they can just ask for a painting. It makes me cross to be asked to give away my work if I want to donate I shall. Yes they should at least let you know what they raised from your contribution.
Where is over here Dermot? I am assuming Ireland? with your name .
Amnesty hold an annual auction in my town. They always tell me how much my painting went for and they return the ones that did not sell.