TALP Open 2024 is now open and there's something new!

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi All, We are pleased to let you know that our 2024 TALP Open is now calling for entries and, new for this year, we have two brand new opportunities for young artists with our Young Artist of the Year 18-30 and Young Artist of the Year under 18 awards.  Find out more here https://bit.ly/TALP2024 and invite the kids and grandkids to enter this year too!  
'Ow about us old 'uns, eh?  'Ow about a reward for us old wotsits as just keep plugging on even though arthritis gets in the way of us even lifting a brush above shoulder height?  Eh? No: it's a great development - and I'm all in favour of it.  There are too few opportunities for young people in just about every field you investigate right now, and arts funding has been savagely cut back nationally and in local authorities - not making a political point there, but we are in what looks very like a recession, and arts funding is always among the first to suffer at such times.  The more TALP can do to encourage young people and give them an outlet, the better.  I don't have kids (and obviously therefore, no grandkids) but I might encourage my great niece to have a go; she drew a portrait of me which, if not 100% accurate, was inventive in terms of colour.  How she avoided being dazzled by my beauty I don't know.... but she made a good effort and I hope will take up drawing and painting: just about all children love to draw, and use colour - and time and again you see that love being driven out of them by rigid curricula, limited expectations, limited opportunity.  
A great opportunity for young artists. There’s a lot of talent out there. I might have to have a word with my granddaughter, Lily.

Edited
by Ellen Mooney

I've sent the link and details to my great niece, so we'll see if it inspires her.  The great nephew is only 3 or so, so it might be a little ambitious to send it to him: still - you never know.  I must have been somewhere South of 8, when I started to draw from those old 6penny worth pocket comic books ... all catalogued now and downloadable from a comics website, you'll be happy to know.
Don't forget to encourage your budding young artists to enter this year's TALP Open - we are excited about this new venture and it's good to see some early entries coming in!