Melton Mowbray exhibition begins tomorrow.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
We opened on Friday, Saturday and Sunday to coincide with 'Potfest' at the cattle market and a vintage fair in the town. We sold four pictures on Friday which was OK but none at all on Saturday and Sunday. Are other people having similar experiences?
Not lately, because I've not shown in a group or alone for some time now - two years back was the last time.  We had a good range of paintings, some small sculptures, distinguished local artists - and me - and as I recall we sold not a single solitary sausage: maybe one of the small sculptures went.  Hence, when a nun - our venue was a former convent school, and some nuns still helped maintain it, and the nearby church - came in for a look, and proceeded to lecture us about the way she preferred paintings done "from the heart" , she was an extremely lucky nun not to feel the weight of our collective boots.  With great self-restraint, we advised her that we were all in full possession of hearts - we could have a theological argument about souls - and failed even to suggest she might leave the art criticism to Sister Wendy Beckett, who at least knew what she was talking about.  In short - don't be disappointed by lack of sales, people are pulling in their belts, many of them are depressed about both present and future, and it doesn't surprise me, however good you might all be, if you're suffering the consequences. All I can suggest about all this - one, ensure you get a venue that is accessible, not in any way off-putting, and well on the beaten track: i.e. it needs to be where people are, where they're walking, visiting, shopping; remember that even if you're not selling, you're showing your work - and that's generally a good thing, even if you have to pack it all up and take it home with you.  You get together with your mates and have a good natter.  And, if you've any sense, you'll have supplied yourself with tea, coffee, bikkies, and anything else that tickles your fancy (though it's best not to make it look as if you're having a private party).  And two, advertise the be-jesus out of it - any way you can, Facebook, local press, leafleting campaign.  Speculate to accumulate - but it won't always work: you can make a show as appealing as possible, but when money is tight, people aren't going to be inclined to spend it. If you don't make sales, it doesn't mean your work is no good - or even that we're surrounded by philistines who don't appreciate it.  It's more often than not just the times we happen to be living in.
PS - that poster would have brought me in; and selling four pictures isn't bad - hang on in there!
I had pics , cards and Sams Tales in an exhibition over the last weekend. It was in a local church to help raise funds for the bell tower in a bad state of repair.   The weather was utterly dreadful wet, miserable and cold., unsurprisingly very few painting sales.  I sold a lot of my cards  a nd a couple of Sams Tales. I know the weather was dreadful but I also think art exhibitions are victims of the financial situation.   Might have a garage sale next summer.
Thanks Robert and Sylvia; no sales today either but it's early days, we open two days a week until Dec 23rd. We're very lucky, we've got a big shop unit with excellent lighting and big windows in an arcade and we're not paying a penny for it. The arcade was semi derelict two years ago when we approached the Council suggesting that we put art in the windows of the closed shops. Melton BID took it on and we've been putting on displays ever since; the Police and Round Table are in two of the shops, others have been let and on the whole things are a lot more positive. That's the power of art!! 

Edited
by Peter Smith

Peter, I know where the arcade is in Melton.  We always try and get for the Christmas tree festival in the church ( I know, I'm soppy like that) , so I'll try and coincide it with a day you are open and pay you a visit. Work permitting of course! Looks good anyway - all the best and fingers crossed for a sale or two.
That would be great Sarah. There is a Christmas market on Dec 1/2/3 and we'll be open on those three days.
The exhibition looks great, Peter. Don’t be disappointed, weather and the economic climate at the moment doesn’t help. The fact that you’ve had sales is good for a new venture. I belong to the Nottingham Society of Artists on Friar Lane, Nottingham. It’s in an excellent location near the city centre, but having said that, sometimes footfall can be light!  Best wishes.
Well done on getting this set up. I'm sure things will pick up towards Christmas. I wish you well x
You've got a great venue, people can see the work easily (is lighting good?), and all of us have fingers crossed for you.  Can you maybe arrange a festive event based in the space - I don't know what offhand (or even onhand...) but something to really draw people in?  Food always does it for me ... plus drink.... but not everyone is so venal; how's your relationship with the local press?  Could they enhance their coverage in any way?  Local radio?  TV ?  I'm sure you've publicized what you've all been able to do to get these spaces used, and obviously you can't always be telling the same story ... if t'were me, I'd be looking for a publicist - might be a journalist, a political party agent (we're quite good at creating a reaction, even if we sometimes have doubts about our product...), someone who'll work pro bono: you can always reward them with a painting, or a bottle of something suitable, if their efforts bear fruit.  
We've got the top man Robert, Santa himself! From Dec 1st his grotto will be right outside our door.  You can't get better than that!  We've tried all the usual channels but hadn't thought of offering drink as an incentive. The trouble is the art group members would polish it all off before the public got a look in! Peter