John Green, Portsmouth artist

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
It ends on 5th March so if you can make it to the Jack House Gallery in old Portsmouth don't miss this ex docker. He has sold many at sensible (for the quality) prices, £700 upwards to £4000 but his work is so cleverly rendered in mixed media, small to large, all dockyard subjects with figures being his one of his skills along with his knowledge of navy ships. It is very very good.
Thanks for that Derek - I couldn't get there in the end, but I've looked at the artist's impressive website - hope he did well. (Actually, I still could if I stir my stumps - don't think I'll be able to though.)

Edited
by RobertJones

Thanks Robert do try it. If and it's a small if I have to go to Gosport tomorrow to collect rejected work I will extend the trip and try and visit Mr Green on the off chance.
Went to Gosport today to collect one of my three which isn't bad. The preview is Friday and I can't make it. Met a fellow club committee member coming out with one of his two so we had a laugh. Then I went to John Green's studio and he wasn't in. The caretaker said he hadn't seen him, his bike wasn't there either, maybe as it was raining so he didn't bother. I'll try again.
My arty day yesterday. Back on Monday I made appt to meet John Green in his studio by phoning the commune where he paints and the staff kindly went to find him and said yes OK a/noon Wednesday. Fixed that I determined to visit Gosport gallery where two of my pics are displayed. Lovely show, not a lot there and 2 out of 100 sold, not mine. Before that I went with Urban Sketchers in Winchester and established a corner in the Guildhall which was full of Uni students taking a test on digital something, laptops everywhere. It didn't start till 1pm. I was no distraction so in 45 mins I completed my A4 sketch of the main hall and many students, ideal for me. ASfter Gosport to Green's place and he wasn't there!! I finally tracked him down via the staff to the gallery he had recently had a show. It was peeing down and on his bike. I offered to go and collect him. Shortly he arived in the gallery owner's car, bike in boot and I spent a happy 3 hs with thim, mainly talking about his dock work and very littlearty stuff. The stuff he has in that room is incredible, smashing even and so varied. Many abstracts, drawings, half completed paintings, too much to take in and would love to go back, but won't bother him. He is planning another show at Jack House. He is an extremely skilled, knowedgable, friendly, slightly confused delightful man of 74/ If you Google his work do check it out. le

Edited
by DerekSnowdon