Giggles from every corner

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
At the Thelwell exhibition at Nat.Trust Mottisfont Abbey, near Romsey, Hamsphire is smashing. It shows his cosiderable watercolour skills alongside and coupled with his humour in the cartoons. All original works, some sketches, many landscapes, drafts for Punch magazine plus editors notes, his art notes on the sketches show him to be a very precise, careful and detailed observer. It's on till 10th April, don't miss it. The house, gardens and settings are stunning, offering loads of walks and picnic places and they open the house up later int the year. The entrance to the Thelwells is through a gallery of quite differing art pieces and well worth taking a look too.
I've seen many a Thelwell scene for real at local gymkhanas. Very talented individual but sadly too far for me to visit.
My cousin had a book of Thelwell cartoons; inspiring stuff. I wonder if she's still got it ...
What a consummate draughtsman he was too
I love Thelwell. I have a first edition book of his, although I fear this is a little far from Lancaster. :(
I did meet him once when he was active, can't remember where but somewhere near Romsey which is near his home. Lancaster isn't too far..........