BP Portrait Award 2017

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I noticed that the BP portrait award exhibition opens this week at the National Portrait Gallery. I was a bit disappointed by the winners. Three of the four are portraits of women by men. I didn't like the overall winner at all - a portrait of a woman in her dressing gown, breast feeding. Unfortunately I will not be visiting it because of the location. Such a pity that it doesn't move around the country. Any one got any thoughts on who should have one?
Just had a look Splosh - all four are of women by men - not that it matters to me. However I was less than impressed by the winning choices. I agree with you that it should take turns in being hosted around the country. A few years ago (or maybe less) the Turner Prize was in my area at the Baltic, the first time ever - why not in all major cities?
Well I stand corrected gwg. It's not the case of how well they were painted, but to me they weren't very exciting. Of course with portraits you are very limited and, indeed, I would love to have that talent, but they do not inspire me.
Off-topic, but you're in Newcastle Adele?
On-topic, I particularly like Double Portrait by Thomas Ehretsmann - the skin has a beautiful glow and the pretty amazing realism appeals to me.
Hi Anth - I'm in Saltburn-by-the-Sea, which is 14miles up coast from Whitby, so not too far from Newcastle.
I agree with Anth; Double Portrait has lovely skin tones. amazing realism and really atmospheric. I was impressed with that one and thought it should have won, but the other winners were not my cup of tea.
In Plymouth our Museum/Art Gallery is closed until 2020, so there is not much chance for us, but we do have a Beryl cook exhibition on at the moment.
I wish they'd bring some more exhibitions down to the Isle of Wight - we get a few, but nowhere near enough; and travelling off-island is getting to be a bit of a problem for me without a car or someone to collect me. So if you could arrange that, it would be very helpful! We did have a marvellous Scott Jackson exhibition a few years ago, but that was a distinct rarity. I saw some of the portraits you mention - only on screen unfortunately, which is never the same. I liked the winning entry, because I felt it said something: was it the subject matter or the execution of it that put some of you off a bit?
Both. A bit brownish and grungy for the subject.
They just didn't fire me with enthusiasm - gosh, I'm beginning to sound a bit "arty"! - Help!!
Syd - if you can get to Edinburgh the BP Portrait Award comes to the Portrait Gallery at the end of the year. I love looking around the exhibition but I never seem to agree with the judges' decisions! That's the beauty of art though, we all see things so differently.