Where to start a drawing

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
What strategy do people have for where to start a drawing? Do you start from the middle or the most dominant lines and shapes. I'm just trying some life drawing and can't decide where to start
You could get a roomful of artists and they would all start from a different point and have different views on the matter. All I would say is be brave and make a first mark which can represent any part of the scene/image which you wish to draw. Then work out from this initial mark using all the advice available on perspective, shapes etc. but get that first mark down and you've started on a great journey. Sorry shouldn't have used the word journey - everyone seems to go on one these days especially so-called celebrities - but you know what I mean!!
For me, the dominant lines and shapes - more shapes than lines, which just help define the shapes. Light marks at first, then the stronger ones where needed. With life drawing, I'd probably establish the head's position first then establish the body's shape in relation to it. I think the only thing I wouldn't ever do is develop an individual feature while neglecting the way it relates to anything else, because that can make you go very wrong. You might be drawing a hand principally, but still wish to indicate the body, for instance - while you might produce a very detailed, minutely observed hand, with the body just indicated, the body still has to be in the right place in relation to it; the hand has to look, in this case, as though it belongs, or the drawing won't work. The other thing is that if you're doing a whole body study, it may not be necessary to show the whole body on the paper, but if you don't, do make sure your drawing looks as though you intended it to look that way, and not as though you just ran out of paper - it's surprising how often even professionals will be working away at a drawing only to discover they've not left enough space for the feet....
I try to get a balance line established, then start with the curve around the hips. I'm sure you'll get a different response from everybody though.

Edited
by alang23

you may wish to start with a view finder and then produce a rough sketch of the composition.then when you have an idea of the composition decide on your point of reference ie a jug etc draw that lightly onto paper then measure all other items in your still life from that point of reference David
Prosaically, I often start at the left hand side (I'm right handed) so that I don't smudge my scribbles... worked for the impromptu party sketches I entertained myself with last night... ...but, of course, there's little composing involved in drawing a group of even slowly moving people, and chance takes a fair hand. I suppose the (not vey sharp) point is - depends what you're drawing, and why.

Edited
by Amanda

If you're drawing in a life class, draw a line near the top of the paper to indicate the top of the model's head. Draw a line near the bottom to represent the lowest position of the feet - if it's a standing pose then usually one foot appears to be lower than the other. Put a central mark on the paper halfway between the upper and lower marks. Use your judgement to decide what part of the body is on the central line, it might be the navel, crotch or buttocks depending on the pose. Then lightly draw lines on paper representing the outline of the arms, legs, torso. By marking the top and bottom limits of the body at the start, you avoid drawing the upper body too large - which means you run out of space for the legs and feet. You need to keep checking that the relative lengths of the limbs and torso correct. Measure the head by holding up a pencil at arms length and then comparing the measurement against the length of the arms and legs. For example, the upper arm is usually about one head's length, the lower arm and hand is just over a head's length. Generally, for a standing pose the total body length is 7 to 8 times the length from the top of the head (excluding any fancy bouffant styles or mohicans) to the underside of the chin. There's plenty of information available on measuring the body, here's one http://www.artistsnetwork.com/articles/art-demos-techniques/drawing-proportions-human-body-ameral