Kooh I Noor

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I think it's a bit like life...keep on trying...one day it will happen... Me? rejection at my first competition this year...but last year my first serious year of painting, I would not have dared to enter...so what? I'm a winner in my book at least I tried.... My artist friend who has judged in the past puts it down to an emotional connection with the judging panel on the day at that time...later only to think heck,why did we reject that one? It was better than the winner!! I have applied to enter a nearby Town's Summer Art Exhibition....written to what I think is going to be a new Local Gallery with examples of my work that you could find here...
Rejection happens to all artists even the very good one. It is a punch in the stomach and to the heart ! It has happened to me many many times and my motto : - they do not know what they have missed ! *-) It makes me feel better. At the end, you do not need a panel of judges to know if your Art is good or not. As an artist, your eyes and your feelings know better.
As Alex Powers says... "...Do what is necessary to get your deserved notoriety Start at home and work out regionally. ...Juried exhibitions are subjective but they are the only game in town. Fame in the Art world comes primarily through Juried exhibitions. Beware of non juried sales exhibitions they may lead you to sales you cannot resist and take you away from your long term goal of non commercial quality work. ....There are few artists who make a living selling their Art. Fame does not always bring money. " Wise words worth bearing in mind next time you get rejected. And worth remembering space is often a factor in selection a small good painting may get in where a large excellent one doe not. Put in paintings that have a recognisable style that is yours but try different sizes. Use your excellent ( to you :-D ) large works as a loss leader.
Thank you all very much for your comments. Not quite sure but seems my point was not put too well. I generally wrote this post for those starting to exhibit their own works. I've been rejected from selection many times over many many years. That is not a big concern.It goes hand in hand with your progression in your chosen field. You get numb to it after numerous years. It is when your starting out that it has the hardest effect on you and thats why i posted this just to give an insight. Thanks very much.
Paul, this post was a very good subject. At least beginners in Art will know that even good artists have to wait to be accepted or rejected. I have a friend an extremely very good experience artist, who told me that she tried to be accepted in one National Society. She presented her very big work (size about 26" x 26" ) and that she was so embarrassed because all the other paintings were very small. She was taken on board the following year. We all need experience ! :-D
Paul did make a very good point about checking the tastes of the judges. The chairman of one particular exhibition even told me to do that prior to choosing submissions. Euphrosene
I just had a letter saying no from patchings too. Hee Hee.Still going as it is a great festival!! Great comments all.Thank you very much.
Thank you Paul, I am going to try and get down too.
Good morning all, with regards to competitions, I entered my first competition this year (patchings) and have had one selected for highly commended category. I'm so excited. I think it's down to how the judges feel on the day I suppose. My wife thought one of my pieces would get selected but it didn't, and the one we thought wouldn't has been selected (hope that makes sense). I think we all get rejected in things but the best thing to do is carry on doing what you love doing, and I love to paint. :-) :-D
SO VERY WELL DONE AZZA ! :-D I have had a look at your website. Good work there ! carry on.
Does anyone know of a supplier of ink for Kooh I Noor Technical Pens?Thanks