Seat Easel

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I wonder if anybody has a Seat Easel to sell? I have been trying to get one for ages. Please help if you can. Victor.

Edited
by 9478884

Hi Victor. Jacksons have one in stock for £117 . If you google Artists Donkey easel you will find several. I have had mine for years and do like it. Hope you find one.
I thought you might have meant a donkey, too - useless for me, and they look uncomfortable even for the able-bodied. Is the kind of thing you're after a seat with an integrated easel (or vice versa)? If Jackson's don't have one - they have most things - try Gerstaecker/Great Art, or Cass Arts; or one of the older artists colourmen companies - Green and Stone, Cornellisen, T N Lawrence. Can't guarantee you'll find anything, but you'll doubtless discover a lot of interesting materials on the way..... and be distracted, and spend too much money.... But maybe you have more self-discipline than I have. My only other suggestion, and there are obvious problems with it, is that you try US sites - they often have all sorts of things we can never seem to find here, but then there's the cost of importation.
And obviously you've tried Ebay?
http://www.greenandstone.com/v2/p/PAC.php?c=32 Take a look at this one - anything like what you have in mind? It's described (down the page) as a seat easel. Also look at Frank Herring's website - they actually make the things, although as it happens I couldn't find this model on their site.... but maybe I just didn't look hard enough.
Unfortunately, anything made of real timber these days tends to cost a fortune - and anything made with cheap wood and the various composites is usually cheap and nasty: a good clue to quality is the standard of brass fittings, screws, leather straps etc: tinny, plated, plastic, should be avoided. A good quality item, though, will last you decades: I'm still using the wooden sketching easel my parents bought for me when I was around 14, just over 50 years ago (creak...). It's made of beech-wood, and it's still in excellent condition except the leather strap which held the legs together (its, not mine..) when not in use has perished and snapped: probably because the easel is in permanent use. Whatever you get, make it the best you can afford: that doesn't always mean the most expensive, but let's be honest - it often does. The ideal here would probably be a metal construction, if it's available - still cheaper than wood, the only thing to be wary of is rust in joints: otherwise you'll find yourself distributing your weight carefully on the seat, only to discover a sudden plummet to the ground: then you've got to hope there's no protruding bit of metal - or a very nasty accident could ensue. But then, Sylvia, I expect we both know much more than we want to know about rusty joints.... (and I know you're older than I am ducks, I'm just being gallant..... ).