December 2008 Leisure Painter

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
The difficulty with framing is that tastes differ so much. I do sometimes use silver frames and black for some of my more modernist works including my line drawings etc. and for some of my small fun paintings I use more contemporary colours like bright blue and green. However for my more traditional watercolours I try to strike a balance in that I generally stick to gold frames (gold being the more traditional colour) but with a modern profile, ie reasonably wide and as plain as I can get. I do hate fussy profiles. Part of the secret in framing is to get the mount right. Regardless of size of painting I like a mount at least 2.75ins wide, double mount, and a pale cream or ivory. One other point: when exhibiting put a small notice on the picture to the effect that if someone likes the painting but not the frame it can be changed - just ask. So many potential sales are lost because the puchaser doesn't like the frame - as I said we all have different tastes..
I use plain white wooden Ikea frames - very simple and pretty cheap. I use ivory mounts and find that keeping things clean and simple shows up the colours of the painting really well.
I have always used single mounts, at least 3" top, left and right, at least 3.5 bottom, ivory or champagne.  Frames generally a light wood.  Unlike Michael,  I believe that if prospective customers don't like the frame, then, tough, don't buy the pic.  When I used to exhibit, I spent nearly as much time on the frame and mount, I sold everything I exhibited.  They are not buying the frame, the price is for the painting, the frame and mount is free.  If it doesn't go with their decor it adds to the tension of the painting, if they really want to they can poodle on down to the Range and get a frame to suit their personalities.bestMick 
Should have added that, like Mick, when I go to larger pictures, about 18 by 14ins glass size (which is my favourite size for watercolours) and above I also go up to 3ins wide mounts. And yes ALWAYS wider at the bottom ! Unless you do this the picture looks top heavy as though it is likely to fall out of the frame. On the question of sales I am afraid times are nowhere near as easy as they once were. I also used to sell most of what I exhibited but I am now inclined to be a bit more flexible - personal choice.
Yes, times were easier when I used to erxhibit and sell.  However, I was exhibiting and selling a package, if prospecttive customers didn't want that package, they could do the other thing.  I  only sold to feed the habit.  In the immortal words of Mark Knopler - ' He had a daytime job, he was doing all right.'Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing.
I have heard before (from my art teacher) that mounts should be deeper at the bottom than the top. I can see that they look a whole lot better, so why can't you buy ready-cut mounts like that. Is it just cost? I think I will choose a light coloured frame because I feel the eye could be drawn to the frame if it is darker, although that would depend on the picture I suppose.
I have framed my watercolours with all kind of coloured frames : White - black - gold - pine - etc... Why ? I have had comments from people saying that they love white frames for their modern homes Some said that they love the fashionable black frames Some said that they were glad that I had gold frames, it is what they would consider for their homes. I have had one customer who framed one of my watercolour in a blue frame to fit with his victorian decor. So I got no specific answer to this question. Sorry Chrissie I think that we all have the same problem!
Thanks anyway - at least I now know there are no rights and wrongs!
I have to hand the October 2008 issue of Leisure Painter which I have retained for reference regarding the article pages 42 to 44 by Neil Watson,"Drawing and Painting THE TOWN Part 1 First Responses". I am seeking the follow up article(s) probably in the December 2008 issue. Any assistance in obtaining the article(s) or complete magazine issue would be much appreciated. I shall be happy to pay all reasonable expenses. Thanks for taking the time to read this posting, Regards Angela