Canvas

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Martin - you did make me chortle.  I probably can be a bit of a troll, jumping on posts to make a point.  I try to ration myself, but when you're passionate about something (and I'm not passionate about very much, after too many years on fluoxetine, which I've now dropped) you do feel you, well, just have to... Wood needs sealing - I've bought several wood panels from Art Discount, and found them a bit too smooth for my liking; I'm also a touch nervous about them, because I know plywood can delaminate.  I have a couple more in my stores to use, though - I'll see if I can get on with them better; I found a small, Seawhite birch panel which worked well for me - probably because it was small. You can rescue a poor canvas to some (very, very limited extent) by adding more priming, eg acrylic "gesso" or alkyd priming.  But the problem with it is that it's thin - the weave is uneven - and if you have to spend money on buying more primer to overcome its defects, you might as well have bought a better canvas in the first place.  Alan Bickley swears by Belle Arti panels, and if they're good enough for him, I don't really know why I'd try anything else.  But - I like to experiment, so I do. 
I use watered down bindex to size the back and sides, then give the front a few coats of jacksons acrylic gesso for both oil and acrylic. I've not run into any problems. I've also used birch ply cut in custom sizes from a firm called Cut my plastic. Very nice it is too, lovely smooth edges and reasonable but it's not cradled so you are back to framing. 
Collette Hughes on 11/11/2023 19:37:19
Collette, you’re so knowledgeable. Trying to look at more of your work too. Great talent! Birch ply! I have some joiner friends. Need to come away from paper. Don’t want the worry of doing more work after… plus the money side of things. Thank you
Martin - you did make me chortle.  I probably can be a bit of a troll, jumping on posts to make a point.  I try to ration myself, but when you're passionate about something (and I'm not passionate about very much, after too many years on fluoxetine, which I've now dropped) you do feel you, well, just have to... Wood needs sealing - I've bought several wood panels from Art Discount, and found them a bit too smooth for my liking; I'm also a touch nervous about them, because I know plywood can delaminate.  I have a couple more in my stores to use, though - I'll see if I can get on with them better; I found a small, Seawhite birch panel which worked well for me - probably because it was small. You can rescue a poor canvas to some (very, very limited extent) by adding more priming, eg acrylic "gesso" or alkyd priming.  But the problem with it is that it's thin - the weave is uneven - and if you have to spend money on buying more primer to overcome its defects, you might as well have bought a better canvas in the first place.  Alan Bickley swears by Belle Arti panels, and if they're good enough for him, I don't really know why I'd try anything else.  But - I like to experiment, so I do. 
Robert Jones, NAPA on 11/11/2023 19:43:20
I think that is a good call. Common sense must prevail when you are dealing with outside influences, marketing.I suppose the only way to be sure is do stuff for yourself, or trust those you are familiar with. I know Collette is trying new stuff, might ask her if she makes her own paint? Expect she has done. Her use of names for different products are affluent in her vocabulary. Good stuff. I am not alone, thank God.
Robert Jones, NAPA on 11/11/2023 19:43:20
I think that is a good call. Common sense must prevail when you are dealing with outside influences, marketing.I suppose the only way to be sure is do stuff for yourself, or trust those you are familiar with. I know Collette is trying new stuff, might ask her if she makes her own paint? Expect she has done. Her use of names for different products are affluent in her vocabulary. Good stuff. I am not alone, thank God.
HAHAHA okay guilty, you are on to me Martin. I'm a bit of a nerd. I have only made encaustic paint. It's very expensive to buy ready made and was easy to do. I bought the powdered pigments from Jacksons. I've not done any more encaustic since the piezo ignition died on my propane torch. I did think about using up the leftover pigments with oil. I have some nice PB28 (cobalt) that would be worth the effort. I've also used the powdered pigments mixed with cold wax medium (which I also make myself) that works well. I do tube up my own greys in oil but I buy the paint ready made and mix it.  Trouble with me is that I go off at a tangent. I did a bit of gel plate printing the other week and decided I wanted a massive gel plate in a size that's not available. Instead of just getting what is available or following a recipe for a gelatine one. I decide that I'll try and work out how a commercial one is made. This leads to me buying gel wax and hot melt epoxy and turning my kitchen into a scene from breaking bad. Creating the plate then becomes more important to me than the actual printing idea I had in the first place. 
Thanks. Don’t know about cold waxes or anything. Willing to learn though. In fact, I have no depth of knowledge at all really… only been painting a couple of years. I think, on the flip side, because I’m lacking in knowledge it leaves me a little bare to others. At school, other pupils wanted to sit by me in art class, for me to draw or paint them. Couldn’t see what all the fuss was about. I decided art was an effeminate pastime for some stupid reason. Joined the army when I left and hid my attraction to the creative world with beer, fighting and the accompanying nuts never eaten at the bar, because people never washed their hands. But here I am, all out as an artist, my old friends saying, we always told you so. Guess I’m more effeminate than I thought, eh?
Effeminate?  I'll have you know I could crush a grape!  Oh yes: all man, I am... True, though, in't it?  At school, I loathed (in order) cricket; football; cross-country runs; athletics; woodwork; metalwork; technical drawing - liked painting and drawing (not necessarily with the materials with which we were supplied); given a choice, which we weren't, I'd have done domestic science rather than woodwork.  Though I quite enjoyed hockey, it was thought of as a girls' game - why, I've no idea: it opened up the gates to all kinds of viciousness. In short, secondary education was rather wasted on me, since it tended to revolve around those appalling pastimes; the only consolation was that we didn't have rugby at my school; as idiotic a game as exists.  Since then, I have occasionally campaigned against much to do with schools - compulsory school uniform, all forms of sport by imposition (if you WANT to do this sort of thing, well go ahead; if you must.  But don't make me do it - well, they wouldn't now, of course - I'm 73 next week, and have escaped their clutches; but what the Hell was the point at the time?) Schools which allowed or promoted the idea that there were girls' interests and boys' interests, in sport or anything else, were failing in their core mission, and explain much about the cultural desert that was Britain in the '50s, '60s, and '70s.  Was Picasso a great girls' blouse?  Caravaggio? Renoir (dirty little devil)? Toulouse Lautrec? Gauguin (dirtier little devil)?  Was it only England which promoted this religious adoration of sport as something that boys should be doing, while girls learned how to make scones?  Not surprising that so many boys grew up (boys do EVENTUALLY grow up: they may be 80 years old before they do, though) thinking the arts were the home of those who couldn't make it as real men.   I know - I do go on.  But this has bugged the whatsit out of me for decades - it makes me so cross I could.... hurl my handbag! (Translator's Note: Mr Jones has started on the gin and tonic.)

Edited
by Marjorie Firth

Ha ha. Hope you had a good night robert

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

Showing page 2 of 2