Inspiration From Artists Wk 105 Bonus Artist : Sylvan Boxsius

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
Welcome to this weekend’s thread the featuring artist this week is : Sylvan Boxsius 1878- 1941, British painter, illustrator and Lino cutter. Boxsius studied at the Royal College of Art and taught at the London  County Council school of Photography, Engraving and Lithograph. I hope you enjoy my selection of his artwork.
These are beautiful Paul, and right up my street. They’re so much in them that is familiar, maybe I saw them as a child. Great choice. 
These remind me of the old railway travel posters which I really like, as I do these paintings. Thanks Dixie.
These are lovely, their style reminds me of my childhood picture books.  Good choice, Paul.
They do have a familiarity about the Andy , I though if so of the old books I read as a child and you sometimes see in secondhand bookshops . Tessa they do have the railway post look and feel to them , I imagine they evoke feelings and memories for a lot of people. 
Jenny we were writing at the same time , great minds. 
Simplicity , clarity...super paintings.
All very appealing. More so the last one. Very beautiful.
I know these are prints, not paintings - but if I could lay my hands on that hot red, that so stands out in these images - used for roofs, chimney stacks etc, I'd be a very happy boy.  It's an orange, but not an orange I've seen in any paint known to me - on the reddest side of orange, and it's gorgeous; maybe you could get it by mixing Light Red, with Yellow Ochre, a good deal of opaque white .... and then again, maybe you couldn't ... it's a unique hue, and lifts some of these lovely pictures - I do remember this artist, or at least, their work - it's images like these that started me painting around 60 years ago, when I was ...... not very good.  I have tried to emulate this colour, but have never quite got there - shouldn't be obsessed by one hue, the pictures would be fantastic anyway; but there it is - it's so characteristic of prints and watercolours of this era, and it's sumptuous!
Many thanks Paul. Never came across him before. They are achingly beautiful. The way he simplifies and then uses simple colour fades is inspiring.   The Bargeman is something I could live with. 
One aspect I particularly like about his work is the inclusion of people, birds etc, which look very natural and not at all contrived. They don’t look like an unnecessary after thought.  I know we’ve had discussions before about whether or not to include people in landscapes, and in Boxsius’s case, where they appear, they are part of the story. I particularly like the one of Whitby.
It’s always a pleasure to feature a artist who evokes memories and produces such fine artwork.  Another selection of his work, I’m liking his work more every time I look . 
Showing page 1 of 2