Inspiration From Artist Week 111 Featuring Artist : Paul Cezanne and Ben Taffinder

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 3
GOB SMACKINGLY Tessa.   Fingers and eyes don’t co ordinate…so I often write rubbish.  
Ah yes Sylvia, I was trying to work it out but got the basics! I’m going to look up his work again. X A few hours later, here are some more I like. I love his style for landscape and still life. Hope I haven’t chosen too many but they are just delicious!

Edited
by Tessa Gwynne

Back to Cézanne for a moment... One of my favourites is Madame Cézanne in a Red Armchair from 1877. I love the flatness he achieved and also the way the patterning, blockiness and saturated colours compete (and outdo) the actual figurative content of this piece. Definitely ahead of his time.   Some of his most 'abstract' work comes right at the end of his life. This is one of the Mont St-Victoire series from 1905 (he died a year later). Their influence on cubism is well-known, but it also isn't hard to make the leap to Klee's Tunisian masterpieces some 9 years later.
And I think Cezanne's influence can still be felt in the work of Ben Taffinder, most of which I really like -- especially the more abstract pieces (no surprise there!). His knifework puts me a little in mind of some of the paintings by Canadian artist Jean-Paul Riopelle (who we might feature in this thread?).
Interesting observation, Martin - Cézanne was no great age when he died; younger than I am now; you can't but wonder where his art would have taken him given another ten years.  
Showing page 3 of 3