Bob Dylan's new paintings

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Has anybody seen the paintings by Bob Dylan that the Times has been promoting this week? There's a 14 page supplement about them today. I was puzzled when I first saw them, because most seemed to be flattish blocks of colour with an outline drawn around the colours. In fact the paintings started off as black and white drawings some years ago. The originals have been enlarged and then the artist coloured in the copies. So to say the paintings are new is misleading. In my view the drawings are strong on composition and are lively in execution. Some of the life drawings are a bit weak, especially the hands and faces. The loose scribbly style looks good at first glance, but looking closer, they are rather shapeless and don't clearly describe the subject matter - for example the buildings and wasteland at the left hand side of a drawing of railway lines. Some of the limited edition prints cost around £2500 - you'd need to be a confirmed Dylanophile to spend that much. What do members think of the paintings?