Newbie after tips and advice!

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I only use watercolour paints and do pencil sketch’s, I would agree with everything said regarding buying equipment.  It to easy at first to be tempted into fancy looking brushe that promise expert results, they invariably don’t deliver.  Alan is spot on with the advice about paper , you can get a reasonable result from inexpensive paint, but nothing can best decent paper  the best you can afford .  I think it’s the same with drawing paper whilst it won’t cockle, poor paper doesn’t get a good finish and dome cheap paper is to grainy, though sometimes you might want a rougher paper . All the brands recommended are what I have used for years and enjoy using them , occasionally I splash out for a very expensive paper for special projects etc . What ever you buy have a good   Clean storage area for them , look after you materials and the will last . Most importantly do enjoy what you do and don’t push yourself to hard it will all come back to you and together before too long. 
Paul  (Dixie) Dean on 10/01/2022 15:51:10
Thank you Paul you have all been so helpful I really appreciate it! 
Hi Sarah, not going to add anything about what to buy and where as you have already received lots of excellent advice!  Wanted to say welcome to POL and the forum, you will get great advice and support here! There is a January sketch a day forum thread which you might find fun and it really has improved my drawing! Look forward to seeing your future work! 
Showing page 2 of 2