Introducing me.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Hello and welcome, James. The avatar you have, at the moment, is lovely. It reminds me of a young Bobby Charlton. I'm no footy fan, but this was my first thought. Would be nice to know what is your preferred medium. Never too old, James, go for it :)
It’s Jackie Charlton Carol
Really! I was in the right 'ball park' then, Marjorie, so to speak. (pun intended) Or are you pulling my leg? :)

Edited
by Carol Jones

Dawn was brilliant, thank you for the advice.
James Endeacott on 08/03/2024 17:19:52
Dawn IS brilliant!  
Hello and welcome, James. The avatar you have, at the moment, is lovely. It reminds me of a young Bobby Charlton. I'm no footy fan, but this was my first thought. Would be nice to know what is your preferred medium. Never too old, James, go for it :)
Carol  Jones on 08/03/2024 18:26:07
Hi Carol, thank you for that, an sorry for the slow response.  As Marjorie says, the mural is Jack Charlton, elder brother to Bobby. It's around 6 foot high and painted with acrylics as it is, ostensibly, indoors so not too affected by the weather etc. It's actually in a stairwell of the stadium so does get very cold in there. I have been lucky enough to be there most mornings through the week over the last few months, painting lots of other smaller designs with a friend/colleague. This Jack one was entirely by the grid method, the photo I used wasn't the best and whilst I am v pleased with the end result, I know I could improve it thanks to painting a lot more since. Thanks again for your kindness, much appreciated.
I hadn’t realised it was a mural James. It’s brilliant! Jackie used to visit Warkworth ( where I live) quite often, I saw him a couple of times.
Thanks for the reply, James. The dimensions of your work is as impressive as your painting. I agree with, Marjorie, brilliant. I hope your work and that of your friend will be protected, in some way even though indoors, for future generations to view.
I hadn’t realised it was a mural James. It’s brilliant! Jackie used to visit Warkworth ( where I live) quite often, I saw him a couple of times.
Marjorie Firth on 10/03/2024 13:47:35
Thank you, I am blushing now ha! I loved Jack when I was a bairn, and was lucky enough to meet him at Elland Road when I was maybe 5 years old. He had a testimonial match in 1973, versus Celtic, which I was lucky enough to attend, AND got Sean Connery's autograph twice.  I retained huge respect for Jack achieving so much despite very humble beginnings, though I know he was not universally popular. The mural is not so brilliant close up, but I have all the time in the world to amend it. 
Thanks for the reply, James. The dimensions of your work is as impressive as your painting. I agree with, Marjorie, brilliant. I hope your work and that of your friend will be protected, in some way even though indoors, for future generations to view.
Carol  Jones on 10/03/2024 17:14:06
Thank you so much. The muralising, as I call it, is possibly an ongoing job similar to the Firth of Forth bridge, ALWAYS being repainted! I do intend spraying or brushing a varnish onto the designs but it is not an urgent task. We are looking at painting ceilings now, as anything is better than the grey of concrete and cement. The club pays for the paint too, so we are in good spirits in spite of the very cold climes.  I am not ashamed to say that I have been wearing 6 layers on occasion, as well as some 'longjohns'! And I recommend kneepads for anyone who uses stepladders for any prolonged time. 
Marjorie Firth on 10/03/2024 13:47:35
Thank you, I am blushing now ha! I loved Jack when I was a bairn, and was lucky enough to meet him at Elland Road when I was maybe 5 years old. He had a testimonial match in 1973, versus Celtic, which I was lucky enough to attend, AND got Sean Connery's autograph twice.  I retained huge respect for Jack achieving so much despite very humble beginnings, though I know he was not universally popular. The mural is not so brilliant close up, but I have all the time in the world to amend it. James Endeacott on 11/03/2024 14:55:08 James, re your meeting Jackie in 1973, he wasn’t too popular in that year when Leeds played Sunderland in the Cup Final. ( I was a Sunderland fan) He said, rather arrogantly, that Sunderland had no chance. Well, good old Bobbie Stokoe and Sunderland, we know what the result was 🥳

Edited
by Marjorie Firth

I haven't used the 'ol long johns but have been wearing a good pair of leggings as an undergarment. A good tip about the kneepads. If the weather holds I'll be out painting the farm house and buildings with limewash. It looks glorious when the sun shines. Keep up the good work, James.  There's many a good painting in National Portrait Gallery that doesn't look so good close up, but stand back a little and all is revealed.  

Edited
by Carol Jones

I haven't used the 'ol long johns but have been wearing a good pair of leggings as an undergarment. A good tip about the kneepads. If the weather holds I'll be out painting the farm house and buildings with limewash. It looks glorious when the sun shines. Keep up the good work, James.  There's many a good painting in National Portrait Gallery that doesn't look so good close up, but stand back a little and all is revealed.  
Carol  Jones on 11/03/2024 18:12:08
Thanks. I'm in a very good place with painting these days, I feel blessed.
Showing page 2 of 2