Tutors - seriously?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Of late, I have been trying my hand at oil painting All a bit of a disaster to be honest, so we'll gloss of that (no pun intended). I decided that, in order to make any headway, perhaps I could use some basic lessons, so went in search of a tutor. I found some listed on POL, the SAA site, and others advertising locally. I have been shocked to find that for the most part a little investigation has shown that these tutors are at best, no better than me, and I a relative beginner in ned of help. At worst - several are actually appauling. All charge what i consider to be extortionate prices. I could go on a painting weekend course or something on those lines, but i think I would get more benifit from regular lessons locally over a period of time, not a one hit weekend. And, from what I've seen so far, theres no guarentee the tutuors would be much good on a course either. If i am to part with my hard earned cash then I feel it's reasonable to expect the tutor to have some clue. Does anyone have any advise for seeking out good quality tutors?