What's you latest 'must have' art materials?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
What is your latest must have art materials? Mine was a lovely 24 pan metal paint box from ebay. Perfect for my new paints.
Just recently, Craig Young made me a customised tray to go inside the paintbox he made me a few years ago. Instead of putting the tube paint straight into the enamelled full pan wells, I wanted to use the empty plastic half pans you can get from Ken Bromley and fit two in each well. The wells in the tray that came with the paintbox would only fit plastic full pans and I wanted to add a lot more colours to my box, so being able to fit two half pans in each well is brilliant. As you can see, I am not really an exponent of the 'limited palette' - more the 'unlimited palette'!! My new tray lets me indulge myself on this score.
Nerys (26/04/2015)
What is your latest must have art materials? Mine was a lovely 24 pan metal paint box from ebay. Perfect for my new paints.
Keep a look out on ebay for "vintage" art materials, ive seen some great stuff on there. Its where i spotted my "antique" easel for £28!
There is a great box of art materials called "art and parcel" that is also a monthly subscription thing. It has new materials in it so should keep most artists up to date!! Also has a minimum saving of 40% on the RRP have a look below.. http://www.hblythco.com/art-and-parcel
Just stocked up with four new canvases and now have the pleasure of thinking about what I am going to paint on them. 9578642 thanks for your tip re mystery parcels. Have just sent for one....

Edited
by North Light

Don't know about "must haves", much of the above reads as "really, really wanted to have, so I bought it!". And why on earth not - we're only here once, so far as I know, and there are so many worse ways of spending money. I'm entirely relaxed about people having a massive palette of colours if they want them - I like to mix colour and my palette is fairly limited: but now and then something different appeals to me, and I buy it: my horizons in watercolour were expanded by Alan Owen, who sent me a parcel of colours, including perylene green, Turner's Yellow, and Transparent Turquoise (he does that sort of thing!): I'd never have thought of using any of them but I do now. My must have, which I'd intended to buy for a long time but never got round to until a few weeks ago, is a Staedtler clutch pencil, with its own sharpener: it's a marvellous drawing instrument - easily sharpened to a needle point, and sits beautifully in the hand. And the other investment was my Dux brass pencil sharpener, with spare blades and its own leather case - as brought to my attention by Sylvia and TB - I can now get a fine point even on my Mars Lumograph 8B pencil (also by Staedtler, and just about the best soft pencil there is). I'm currently saving up for a carton of Michael Harding's Cremnitz White - it's around £55, depending on where you buy it, but having looked at the price of Thea's Craig Young paintbox (even though they're worth every single penny, as one can easily see) I feel a bit less guilty about the cost. And it's still less than a case of wine from Laithwaite's.......
Like, costing nowts.....