watercolour and water

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I use burnt umber a lot .and find the wxn burnt umber dries very hard ,,is their anyone who adds a little Gum Arabic ,or Ox Gall as you fill your pans ...I would like to know the results ,,please.
Some of the paints I use dry hard on the palette - I add a few drops of water with a pipette to all the paints I'm going to use, leave them be for a few minutes and find that they soften up nicely. No need to scrub with my best brushes (although I use cheapo brushes for mixing). I always use a pipette to transfer water to my paint wells, it means the water in my cup stays relatively clean throughout my painting. Kay M
I use a pipette all the time for mixing washes - it's so much easier than transferring brushloads of water to the mixing wells.
Sennelier are an easy to wet up. watercolour and I believe they use honey. though in the test I view on the tube,, Glycerine came out the best additive ,,,,between honey and Glycerine ,. I see no harm in adding a little glycerine in the tube mix ,to keep the umber pliable . and I find it is hard to wet up some umbers a few days old,,,,and left in a warm area. I do agree most watercolours wet up easy but to keep the flow as you work and make it easy ,,,,,, it is not a bad thing ,,,,,,especially doing large washes

Edited
by alanowen

I'm pretending I mix colours from what I already have in my paintbox - and then I go and buy another tube!! for greens though, I use phthalo green (my fave!) and mix with burnt sienna, quin gold, raw sienna, alizarin or permanent rose - whatever's handy in my palette, i've newly discovered transparent orange - totally amazing!! I painted a grey painting recently using alizarin and phthalo green, not sure i like it but i really liked the grey mix with phthalo green and permanent rose - yum!!
Showing page 2 of 2