Decorating the kitchen

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I now have 6 sample pots of emulsion and wonder if it's possible to use them as unerpainting for my acrylics or as a gesso, They must be watersoluble I guess therefore maybe not good. Any thoughts - hate wasting paint. Still had- at least till last Wednesday the 6 or so we had the last time we decorated a room.
Can't answer your question Derek but I have used them to actually produce a painting in the past although in doing so there is that problem of longevity - will they fade etc . Mind you as long as they last until I fade away at least we'll have something in common.
I have used small pots of emulsion to create most realistic dioramas in n gauge railways (a phase through which I have passed). They must have some use: perhaps even simply as a challenge? D
Nah...... buy yourself some proper gesso. Emulsion for decorating purposes isn't intended for arty purposes, isn't made to last beyond ten to twenty years (which may be enough for your purposes, of course) and won't work as well - probably. Of course - it might. It might be absolutely fine - depending on exactly what's in it. But you're unlikely to know exactly what's in it; and if it were me, I should worry about it degrading or delaminating over time. You might argue that you only want to use it for sketches or playing about - but I can never guarantee that any given thing I'm working on isn't going to turn into something I'd rather like to keep in good nick - my rough sketch might turn into the best thing I ever did (fingers always crossed) - what if it did, and I knew I'd used an inferior base coat? If you're right out of gesso, then thinned down Titanium White will do as good a job - but not the stuff you've been using to touch up the bathroom.
I have and can afford to buy more gesso and thanks Marjorie, but I will bin them
Three three quarter days we don't do work in the evening, not like wot we done when we wus young. Very nearly finished, two radiators to paint, pictures/photos etc to hang and that's it. No more ever. We thought it would be easy having contracted out the hall, stars and landing to a decorator and he was very good. I can't handle just the step ups and hold balance now and very tired. My wife did better but she ain't got my physical problems. Probably won't create this week as the rads tomorrow and packing for a grand w/end away on Hayling Island with the gang. Should have been at Fenerly Wittingdons Caff with the urban sketchers this morning, but they are reapeating the venue next week. Will now view the gallery - stand by.