New online art magazine

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
http://onlineartmagazine.weebly.com/robert-phillip-jones.html<div> </div><div>Pratim Das has started this online venture, to which I was pleased to contribute at my usual enormous length.... concision is a gift I've not been given.  Take a peek.  </div><div> </div><div>Granted this is not exactly an Art book and dvd review, but I couldn't quite think where else to put it: and this thread has been a bit quiet lately.</div>
Do I understand April 20016? I am certainly interested in what Pratim has to say on his site?? Please somebody, explain in simple terms what is happening.(the spirit is willing but the brain is becoming somewhat weak...er! Robert?
Of course I did not mean 20016! Senior flick of the finger! Just goes to prove my point...Bless all of us 83pluses, we are still an item! Anyone else out there?
I have just followed the link provided and read Robert's contribution. I was struck by the wise comment/advice which he gave...'Strive to be different and distinctive' To me this says everything.....Thank you, Robert. as 19 years your senior, count me your oldest fan!
Abi gezint, Syd, is a phrase I commend to you - used with some irony by those who have every damn' thing wrong that could possibly occur, and a few that really shouldn't be able to. It means, roughly - 'so long as you've got your health!'. You keep going - we've all got something wrong with us, and the older we are the more certain it is that we will have. Ruth - have you found the site now? Google Coloured Canvas - Pratim has worked enormously hard on the magazine, and has republished all the back issues, I believe; he asked me to contribute a piece every month, one is almost due, and believe me it's a struggle to keep up - but so far I've managed. Certainly keeps me thinking, which is all to the good. And he has a wide, international readership. He's a quite remarkable man, and highly productive of his own original work.
Robert....Please note, having seen the duplicate I have just spitted as threatened!! Are you familiar with the poem "When i am old I shall wear purple.?.." Can't remember who wrote it but it is a corker. I will try to find it and post a copy. Oh Lord, I do go on, don't I....
Tee hee - I know the poem, in the sense that I would know it if anyone recited it, but have forgotten both the words and the author! This is my idea of memory these days. Facebook - well..... It was the place where young people went to interact. I think they have many other outlets these days, and Facebook is populated by the likes of my 92 year old Auntie Peg - who was in great nick until the last couple of months, but is now a bit wobbly - and a host of others who are all too fond of showing photos of their blasted cats, cute little dogs (trouble is, I like dogs) and occasionally their rats (happily, I can take any number of rat pictures, videos, and stories). In other words - there's an awful lot there, some of which will bore you silly, and because other people's friends can come along too, as it were, there are also some things that might offend. In particular, I don't much like swearing - some people see no harm in it at all and freely do it, but it annoys me and so does the sort of political argument you get where people just shout at other people, and say very stupid things: and guess who responds to the stupid people and tries to put them right? Yup, that'll be me; and to be honest, it does waste such a lot of time ..... so I've taken a conscious decision to just pop in now and then, and then to pop out again asap. On the plus side - I get to see paintings I wouldn't see otherwise; and I hear news, good and bad, of which I might otherwise be unaware. So if you do go on it, I would restrict your friends strictly to those things that interest you - eg, painting and gardening - and be careful how many friend requests you accept. There are those who seek to add friends just because they like collecting them: unless therefore the site indicates that they're already friends of people you know, I should be very cautious about accepting them. You can always remove them later, though. As far as making sales of your work is concerned, which may not be of concern to you, I don't know, I think Facebook is more or less useless - I HAVE sold a few pictures there, but for so little money it was hardly worth doing. If you want to make the sort of contacts that are commercially useful, I think LinkedIn is a much better site. I think if I had my time over again, I would probably never have gone near Facebook, to be quite honest: but it has to be said that it's had advantages too - I'm not actually a very sociable bloke, to tell the honest truth, though: if you like chattering with friends and sharing recipes, and bits of news, and hearing theirs, and getting tips of various kinds, you'd probably enjoy it more than I do.
Just in case anyone else would like to know about the poem, Ruth mentioned - When I am an old woman I shall wear purple - Author Jenny Joseph.
I have contacted Pratim and I will support him in what he is trying to do, his detailed work and knowledge amaze me. from an amazing man, ornithologist and philosopher too, I think, I suspect I am looking through rose coloured specs as I tend to do, but this time I trust I am seeing fairly clearly. Pratim is very brave to attempt this especially with his limited command of English, and I am filled with admiration for him. I am wondering though whether I have jumped in at the deep end as he has asked me if I am now going to provide an article for Coloured Canvas......Oh dear, Ruthie, what may you have let yourself in for? I am no expert in art in any way, I DO it, but don't 'know' enough about it to inform others. Help!! WHAT do I write about if I choose to make a contribution? Advice, please!!!!!
Am I right in thinking this is his web site ,,I must say it is a very good idea ,, good luck ...,, ,isn,t weebly part of just host.,,, that helps amateurs do web pages .. ,,surprised others have not done it ..

Edited
by alanowen

I don't know how he does it, really - I know I have to be extra careful when sending him my monthly articles, because he won't edit me: so I have to be sure I've not made any slips - this is quite a responsibility. I think he believes it would be disrespectful - well, it wouldn't, but it's very flattering. What I admire about Pratim, apart from his astonishing output of high quality artwork, is his inventiveness and willingness to take things on - the sheer amount of work involved here, in putting the magazine together, reminding old fools that their article is due (ahem, shuffle,blush) and getting it published on time: this would exhaust me: if I got one issue out it would be a miracle. And all the design is his own work - he must edit some pieces, because of language differences - it's an achievement.