An Inappropriate Post - but I have to tell someone!

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Robert inspired me to search for a painting of Napoleon in defeat, by David, but I could not find one.  I did, however, find these two which I liked and have posted to bring the conversation back in line focussing on art.  The first is by Adolph Northern and the second by Piotr Stojanow. Both bear out Robert's testimony

Edited
by Tony Auffret

Antoine-Jean Gros was the artist I was thinking of, his painting of NB at the Battle of  Eylau - last time I copied and pasted a picture I got a huge line of text spread over the page, so I won't do that! Yes; it is said that Churchill was very angry with those who compared Bonaparte to Hitler - I can see why, there really isn't a close comparison.  All the same, Napoleon was fully prepared to throw away thousands of lives in pursuit of his objectives, and it's useful to be reminded of that, as these paintings succeed in doing - one has to ask just what it could have been that rendered the death of any of those soldiers of less importance than the survival of Napoleon, or the Tsar; they were all simply human beings - why did they not drag Bonaparte from his horse and put a bulle through his brain? In the end, of course, we saw in the Russian revolution the result of revulsion at last against their imperial power; and the destruction of its representatives.  Only for them to erect another icon - a secular one this time - subjecting themselves to a further 100 years of oppression, in the name of another ideology, as systematically cruel as the Tsarist regime was carelessly cruel.... You do wonder if people EVER learn...  or ever will. 
Showing page 2 of 2