Which Acrylics are you using?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
System 3. Haven't used them much but i like the viscosity of them when I do.
Cryla behaves like oil paint - I don't think it does. It dries much faster; it has a uniform sheen when used thickly, or just not diluted; on the other hand, it will hold brush strokes, can be readily applied with a knife, has a good range of colours - but 'like oil paint' is a bit misleading. You could argue that it leans in the direction of painting in oil, as System 3 MIGHT be said to lean the other way, towards watercolour - but I don't know that this takes you very far in either case. It might also lead to something very unfortunate, which has dogged acrylic from the outset - to encourage the idea that acrylic paint is some kind of convenient, permanent, 'safer' substitute for another medium. It isn't - it's a medium in its own right which needs to be valued as such and judged as such; you won't get the best out of it if you're thinking ('you' in this case doesn't mean Pat, but anyone! I know Pat is fully aware of the merits of acrylic) that it's some sort of easier option. To start with, it isn't easier ... but even if it were, to limit oneself to regarding the paint as a sort of second-best would be a big mistake.
Just don't use solvents, Pat - oil paint does have a certain smell, but you've got to get your nose near it to discern it: and who wants a bright blue nose..... Oil paint can be cleaned up with kitchen towel, soap, and water. The water miscibles are treating a problem that needn't exist.
I mostly use Liquitex Heavy Body - lovely to use and gorgeous colours -then I like to use it thick - mostly brush but also pallet knife. I also have some Winsor & Newton Finity Artists Acrylic which (although tubes are pretty old) is very good too.
I've probably answered this before, but what the Hell....... Daler Rowney Cryla - one of the earliest acrylics, and still superb paint. Daler Rowney System Three. Winsor and Newton Professional acrylics, which used to be called Finity. Chromacolour International, in tubes or pots. There are many suppliers of acrylic paints, but the above are those I use most often, and are my favourite brands. And having used them for many years now, I can vouch for them being at least as good as any other brand you'll find, and in many cases better.
Actually, I know perfectly well I've answered this before, I'm just a bad boy tee hee. But if I were asked where to start with acrylic, the above is very definitely where I'd go.
Showing page 2 of 2