Watercolors to Acrylics

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hello to all the artistic folk out there. I learned to paint watercolors and have enjoyed the experience. I have saved tutorials in watercolors with Terry Harrison who taught me well. What I would like the members to help me with is what are the snags of painting these watercolor tutorials in acrylics on canvas. I am painting in acrylics and really love the work. Best wishes.
Not sure there are any snags - you know of course that acrylic paint, once dried, can't (normally) be re-wetted (there are 'interactive' acrylics, which can be). The only snags are a) that you need to use synthetic brushes, or perhaps hogs, rather than sable or even goat-hair; b) that you must keep your brushes damp and not allow paint to dry on them, because while it can be removed, it's likely to ruin the shape of the brush; c) that the colour is more immediate, and stronger, and will generally need the addition of white or of water/medium if you're to avoid a strident look. On the other hand, you have the choice - if you like to use paint in strong colours and tones, acrylic can do that for you. Some of the Terry Harrison techniques - such as using a credit card to help create rocks - can be employed with acrylic. Acrylic can be used transparently, or opaquely, or more usually in a combination of both. And acrylic can certainly be used on canvas, boards, paper, more or less anything non-greasy. On the whole, you'll probably be working dark to light, as opposed to the other way round with watercolour, but even that isn't a hard and fast rule. You can use sponges with acrylic, though wash the paint out before it dries or you'll be left with a hard, useless lump. Let us know if you have anything more specific in mind.
Sorry for the delay in answering. Thank you all for the advice it has helped very much. Now I have a foot in each camp so to speak, acrylics and watercolors, I am sometimes torn in between the two. How do other members get to select in which medium to paint. I have times where I am procrastinating not knowing where to start. I have many saved things to paint so why don't I get going. I love painting landscapes and silhouettes in both mediums. Mike Peirson
I paint in oil, watercolour, acrylic, and sometimes gouache. So the choice can be a touch daunting - on the other hand, some subjects do seem to suggest the medium; or the medium suggests the subject. I think you'll find you gradually begin just to know which you wish to employ. And if in doubt - do both! Plenty of artists have done a study in watercolour for an oil or acrylic; perhaps not so often the other way round. Or have felt like capturing different aspects of a subject in different mediums.
I like to point in Watercolour in Autumn and Spring, which is about right for speed of drying. Whereas in Summer I prefer to paint in oil, when I want it to dry quicker. That leaves Winter for Acrylic, when the drying is slowest. Simple!
The seasonal use of mediums! That had never occurred to me - but then, I'm rarely in a hurry for paint to dry. Gives me more time for lazing - for thinking, I mean, thinking... It's a thought, though - at least it provides a rational basis for the choice.