Sleep on it!

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall

Edited
by Peter Smith

I confess that when I saw 'After Morisot' on the first painting, I did mutter 'and a long way after, too'.  You haven't asked for a critique on the before or after, so I won't offer one.  I would gently suggest however that if you're going to say a work is 'after' another painter, it does need to look a bit more like the original; apart from anything else, Berthe Morisot has been dead and gone for a good many years - your young woman is a lot more of today than of yesterday.   You are of course quite right about acrylics - you can totally change a painting with a minimum of difficulty (especially if you're using thinner paint: some crenellations of thick paint are harder to conceal) - the only snag I've found is that, especially with portraits, I KEEP changing them, and bang goes any resemblance to the subject I might have had in the first place.  Oil does indeed take longer to dry, but that makes it easier to manipulate (I say 'easy' - nothing in portraiture is easy) - it does depend a lot on what you're actually used to: when an oil portrait is going to 'come off', you can usually tell fairly quickly - ditto when it's not going to, but you can always scrape it off and start again.  
I have deleted this post.

Edited
by Peter Smith

Don't worry about it - few people here are as irritable as I am!