Painting whiskers

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I am currently working on a portrait of my lurcher. I am using acrylics on 12 x 16" paper. He is smooth haired, so I will need to paint his whiskers. It's the first time I am painting a short haired dog in such detail. What's the best way of painting whiskers? I can see them ending up too thick if using a normal brush. What are the best techniques to use? .
You could use a size 1, 0, or 00 brush - you could even, if you can get the paint you're using liquid enough, use a mapping pen or a dip-pen. But generally the secret to this lies in the consistency of the paint rather than the brush - you want it liquid, but not so wet that it fails to make a distinctive mark: this takes practice, so have a bit of scrap paper to hand and make a few trial runs - an ordinary rigger, if the paint consistency is right - ie, not dropping blobs of paint where you least want them - is just as good as anything else, if used with a light but decisive hand.
It's also part of technique and style. I don't paint animals but i have an accomplished acquaintance who uses a white pen for white whiskers and a grey one for dark whiskers. I'm with him on this - any shortcuts welcome! Cheating? Purists might think so - but nothing wrong with mixed media and in any event there are no rules in art .
Hi, I paint a lot of portraits and for fine whisps of hair (which is very similar to animal whiskers) I use a rigger brush. You can get this is various sizes. Thin a brush down further for fine single hairs. The trick is to load the brush and keep it very wet and fluid. You should be able to achieve long fine lines of hair in single strokes. Practice on another canvas or board until you’re happy with the result. Zoe
Don't forget the aim isn't to paint whiskers...its to make the viewer think whiskers exist. You might only need parts of some whiskers to do this.
Many thanks, everyone. I haven't attempted the whiskers yet, but just wanted to show you the nearly finished portrait I am talking about. 🙂

Edited
by Dylan F Jeskye

I have finally finished the painting of my Lurcher, whiskers and all. 🙂
And managed some squirrel whiskers too. Lol

Edited
by Dylan F Jeskye

Well done - practice makes perfect!