New to the site

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
Never come across "they belong to the exhibitor" how much are they going to give you.for a fortnights hire,even then they belong to you! Normal for you to insure your work. I have found children to be interested or not but always careful around local art exhibitions.
Their ownership remains your at all times Neil. you are simply entrusting them to exert due care of your art, supervised by day [full time security] and to have it 'locked away' by night...a published event [with a starting date and a finishing date]...promoted as an art exhibition.... THEN SAA cover should be available...
Thanks for your comments, this is what their T&Cs include: “7. During the exhibition all items will become the property of the Havering Library Service and the Havering Library Service will be responsible for any public liabilities resulting from the operation of the library service. 8. The Havering Library Service accepts no responsibility for the loss or damage of any exhibition items by whatever course. “ Do they mean “cause” ? This is not like any other legal document I have ever seen and I worked in law for over 30 years. If you state your painting is for sale, they will take 10% commission on any sale. Anyway, I have decided against letting them get their hands on my work and will keep a lookout for other opportunities. :-S
Mel. apologises to Roobs & Neil for being confused [a terminal thing]... Yes they should state 'cause'...spell check glitch no doubt... I would not be put off from exhibiting in this library... It is all about exposing your art to the passing public... If it [your artwork] is either stolen or defaced...then you have a claim against the council surely? Either way there would be a local interest story in the local press...again exposure [free publicity] for you...Perhaps? And only 10% commission is very reasonable too... Either way SAA insurance cover should be OK...free to members [part of the package...£35 per year]...
For a library to say they own your work baffles me lol. I think the person you spoke to was not very well informed ! That just doesnt make sense and the comment from the individual is wrong. I have exhibited at library galleries before on several ocassions. I must admit I never had any insurance either. I have had some damage though on one block canvass painting. The person responsible for hanging decided to knock in my stretchers all around the inside of my frame with the end result of actualy knocking three through the canvass on the edges. I was not a happy man however i fixed the damage and sold the painting at a later date. All in all it does pay to have insurance and libraries are a good place to exhibit as it also helps your exposure. I still exhibit in libraries regardless of my one bad experience. I would say submit your work and see what happens from there. I dont think there will be much chance of a kid in there with permanent markers. Go for it :)
I cannot believe that they imply that your work is their property ! I would not be very happy about it.
When I phoned to enquire about the applications, I was told they'd email me the forms. I received the email but could not download the attachment so I rang again and was told they'd post them. Following day I received....a duplicate email, still with undownloadable attachment! Finally received faint, barely legible photocopies of the forms and T & Cs in the post. All this should have rung warning bells from the start.
>:-( It makes you angry doesn'it ? They want people to use their premises to exhibit but do not seem to take care about the artists !
I've just been accepted for three Art and Craft Fairs as opposed to exhibitions and all three have said that everything on display is covered under their insurance for the entire period of the fair. I would expect your libraries to do the same in that case.
It sounds as if this library is only offering the general public liability...in case the painting leaps off the wall & wraps itself around a library users neck...THEY are protecting themselves... It is always best for the ARTIST to have their own separate insurance for their artworks in any exhibiton...e.g. SAA who are fantastic...IMHO.
No they do not belong to the Libraries at all they are your property. You are responsible for their insurance. Join SAA you get automatic cover. As some one has already stated children are usually very good around exhibitions. I have exhibite quite a lot and never seen a picture defaced by anyone. Yes sometimes glass has been broken accidentally and maybe the frames scratched. nothing that cannot be put right. Go for it and enjoy. ;-)
It is always best for the ARTIST to have their own separate insurance for their artworks in any exhibiton...e.g. SAA who are fantastic...IMHO. Mel. adds a PS...remember to put it in-place 48 hours before the start of the exhibition....easy job...on line...
Showing page 1 of 2