Iridecence

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Has anyone here used iridescent acrylic paint? Or is there a way of panting iridecence ? Though I'm sure I can figure that for myself, using mixtures of colour onto dark paint. I have started or about too the painting of my grand daughter with her feathered head dress. I do know you can buy iridecent paint but know nothing about it. Also has anyone ever used gold pen on top of acrylic paint and then varnished it.? . I do know I can go off and play around and try it for myself...I'm the first to tell people to do that. But if anyone had any experience I would be grateful to hear from you. It might work better in inks ...thoughts please .

Edited
by NorthLight

Hi Syl. Nobody seems to have used iridecent paints including me. Gold pens are a different formula from acrylic so you would be betterusing gold acrylic suitably diluted on top of the acrylic. It looks as though you will have to buy two,or at most three iridecent small tubes of paint and become the forum expert on them after you are good with them. Best of luck....Syd
Yup, you're going to have to be your own expert - I've never used them either. For what it's worth though, I agree with Syd about the gold work on top of acrylics - you can certainly buy acrylic gold paint, and apply it with a dip pen or even a sharpened long match-stick, which might work rather better; rather that maybe than gold ink-pen. Or FW Inks in gold - they're acrylic, and would work. I have used the old fashioned gold and silver inks over acrylic and watercolour, but mostly on home-made Christmas and birthday cards - I didn't varnish it; it worked fine, but if I were doing something more serious I'd stick to acrylic inks or paint. I think most gold ink pens are a gel - don't know what goes into it, they're almost certainly water-based, though. And - you can also get metallic oil paint, which you could use over the acrylic. I've never used that, either! Helpful, eh?
Iridescent acrylic colours are available in acrylic...the Spanish NV Vallejo brand is the best, W&N brand is good. Iridescent paint needs a black gesso base. Remember that every defect in your iridescent acrylic brush stroke will show up...you may need to apply 3-4 thin coats . The sail has iridescent acrylic.

Edited
by philk2

This is a better example...acrylic metallic paints [4 coats] and acrylic iridescent colours [six coats] on a black gesso base. 60 x 60 cm canvas.

Edited
by philk2

The very words that struck me - 'lovely stuff'! The sadness of course is that you can't see iridescent (we knew you'd got the spelling wrong, Sylvia: we were being kind; patronize, condescend....) colours on a screen; but you can still get an idea. But you can use paint, if you're pretty expert at least, to suggest iridescence without actually using iridescent paint. I'm not saying, mind you, that I'd want to try - but as the nice man said on the BBC Painting Challenge, if you only paint what you know (or was it like?) you'll never grow as an artist......
I've used metallic gold acrylic paint (Golden brand). It was for an outdoor painting that was heavily varnished. After 10 weeks outdoors in the best Scottish weather it still looked great and hadn't faded at all. It mixed fine with other (non-interference) paints as well and gave them a nice shine. I can try and find a photo later on if you are interested. Kay M. <div class="__IE11CLEANUP__"> </div>
OK Sylvia I'll have a look later on tonight and see what I can find. :)
Sorry it took so long to post these up. My photos aren't great and fine art it isn't, but hopefully these are some use to you. If not I'm more than happy to paint a swatch for you. The paint I used is Iridescent Bronze Fine by Golden. Here it is painted over burnt umber light - I took this to show how the light catches it. The colour in the top corner is the bronze mixed with yellow ochre: And as solid colour: Mixed with yellow ochre (it's the colour at the bottom of the picture - this doesn't show it to best effect) The eye is the bronze paint over the yellow ochre mix: And here's the full beast outdoors. The bronze is in the tail plait and along the bottom of the mane, and you can just make it out in some of the leaves: Hope this helps :) Kay M.
I have used metallic acrylics before, just gold and silver. Look lovely when reflecting the light. I recently used gold on my Phil Campion painting the tiger.... tempted to look at this too.