Household paint

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Anyone used household acrylic or silk as underpainting?
Would probably work on top of a old pic you want to reuse the canvas...but I would still gesso on top of it...if you do let's know if it works .
If you.re going to sell it I’d be cautious.
Wondered if no air can get at it, would it be as good as glue, so to speak. I use acrylic household paint as gesso. It has acid resisting properties. Almost like treating the surface
Thanks for the replies, Sylvia and Marjorie 
Household paint is designed to last for a limited period of time - i.e. to the next touch-up of the hallway.  Now - it MIGHT last a hell of a time - a lifetime, maybe, so long as it's not actually exposed to UV light, knocks and scratches, dirt seeping into it (all acrylic is quite soft and vulnerable to staining over time, but household acrylic just isn't designed to resist these pressures - there's no reason why it should be expected to).  Beyond that, though, the colours are just not the same as artists' acrylic: that may not matter so much if you only paint in dark umbers, but it does matter a lot when you seek to get into bright, strong colours - eg, cadmium colours, which housepaint generally doesn't use, because it would be VERY expensive over large areas.   So the answer basically is 'yes but no'.  It may not matter if your kitchen décor gets dirty, fades, dulls down over time: but if you're selling paintings, it really does: get yourself some Cryla, and then some household acrylic, compare the two - chalk and cheese. You MAY be able to paint underlayers in household acrylic - well, you could! But - given it's not designed for the purpose, could you trust it not to crack, flake, peel?  It might well not - but it's not a risk I'd want to take.  
Thanks Robert. Very informative