Different palettes and methods, as between oil, w'colour, and acrylic

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I could be quite wrong, but for me acrylic always seems to go naturally with abstract painting. And the variety of effects you can get with it, without bits of "stuff" added - collage doesn't really do it for me either although I've seen some pleasing examples. I do agree about some of the colours needing toning down somewhat. I like the fact that it is easier to correct mistakes. Regarding brands, does anyone use Golden? They are a popular artist quality brand here, along with W&N and Liquitex.  I like your example Denise.
Golden, like Liquitex, are on my 'to-get' list. A brand I've used since it first appeared, though, is Daler-Rowney's Cryla.  It has body, it doesn't dry out in five seconds flat, it has vibrant colours - and those essential earth tones.  I have problems with the traditional British oil colours - eg, too many contain Zinc; some have chosen to grind their colours in safflower oil rather than Linseed (it's not clear why: I don't think there's a significan price difference) - but both Winsor and Newton and Daler-Rowney still make excellent acrylics and watercolours. I don't do abstracts - well, not intentionally! - but yes, acrylics are a boon for the abstract painter, because of their huge flexibility: no worries about fat over lean, glazing and scumbling galore, they'll hold a sharp edge or can be allowed to mix together and fuse, and if you have to get a move on if you're wanting the colours to interact, that's probably no bad thing.  
I am with Robert.  Dale-Rowney's Cryla has been my mainstay for the last (almost) 50 years, supplemented by W&N Professional.  I did buy a tube of Liquitex Dioxazine Purple for a specific project and, as the name suggests, more liquid less body.  Just a pity that, as time goes by, fewer people seem to stack Cryla.
I use Liquitex Heavy Body (far superior to the System 3 I used before, but that's expected at around 3 times the price). They're not at all liquid (they hold shape well when used thickly), so perhaps you were using the fluid or basics range Tony? The pigment load is great and the texture luscious. I wouldn't be without quin magenta, phthlo blue and phthalo green in this range. I've no experience with Golden so far but I'd expect similar quality. Jackson's do an extensive acrylic paint catalogue with all the main brands that is worth a look.
I paint in acrylics all the time, and very often have to get my hairdryer out! I’m so impatient when I’ve got an idea in my head. I use Cryla heavy body, Golden and Jackson’s own artist quality. I’m quite brutal too…using sandpaper and a knife for mark making. I also water them down for glazing and I’ve ruined brushes through stumbling. I think they’re versatile. 
Showing page 2 of 2