Cryla heavy-bodied acrylics

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Rowney - whether Daler Rowney or not at that time I don't remember, were one of, if not the only, British paint-maker to introduce acrylics in Britain; they called the paint Cryla, and still sell it.  May they never stop.  Since then, we've had System3 (also Rowney), at least two iterations of  Winsor and Newton acrylics, Finity to start with, and then moving on to another brand name, Liquitex, Golden acrylics, Vallejo acrylics, Open acrylics, Chromacolour, a knock-off of Chromacolour by an artist who, it seems, fell out with them: still available?  I don't know.   I've used nearly all of these paints - but Cryla remains a firm favourite, after all these (around 50) years; it's a great paint Over the years, the Cryla range has been expanded and evolved - I don't know if Daler-Rowney is still a British company; I hope it is, but doubt it.  Irrespective of that - use their paint; go on, go on, do!  System3 is fine, but Cryla is better - resist the call of the USA paintmakers, some of whom are very, very good, but Rowney has made the best acrylic paint from the outset. T'was Alwyn Crawshaw who first turned me on to it, ending one of his vids with "you can trust Cryla": well, you can.   And no, I'm not on the Daler-Rowney board (though if you're seeking anyone, chaps, you have only to let me know...). 
I have one tube of Cryla! A very dark blue, which I only bought because I was desperate for a very dark blue or green and it was the darkest thing my local art shop had. It’s a nice paint.  I may purchase some more, when I gradually deplete shades in other brands.  I like W&N professional, and Liquitex heavy body, but also have some cheaper brands. I have a lot of bits and bobs… many of which I will probably never use!
When I first started using acrylics back in the 1970's it was Cryla that I used.  I did try some W&N but had issues with the caps sticking and then splitting when you tried to open the tube - cap later redesigned I should add.  Why I did not have the same problem with Cryla I don't know.  I expect I was equally bad at cleaning the tubes but the caps were more robust.  Over the years, sadly, it seems to get harder and harder to source the Cryla range, even on line.  'System 3'  seems to be readily available but fewer houses seem to stock Cryla.  A pity.  Approaching 50 years on I can say I have had no issues with light fastness and fading.
Tony -  yes, I'd noticed the difficulty in finding it, which is why I thought I'd give it a plug.  I'd hate to be without it - System3, and W&N's range, are very good, as are most of the rest, but Cryla is a proper heavy bodied acrylic, with some fine colours to choose from and a texture reasonably near to oil paint; not that I use it as a substitute for oil - but I do like a good, "meaty" paint that you can, as it were, build with.  It's also a very effective, colourful adhesive - ideal for those artists who like to include elements of collage, including fabric, in their work.  System3 is lovely stuff, but ... there's a word I need but can't find in the echoing vaults of my brain!  What I want to say is that it's too liquid, flows well, but one doesn't always want that.  Obviously I got up too early this morning, the brain fog is clinging on - I don't mean too slick, because that sounds like a criticism, but I'm sure those who have painted with both Cryla and System3 will recognize what I'm trying to say, even though I don't seem able to say it: coffee time, I think!