Can you glaze thin over thicker with acrylics?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Would glazing thinner layers over a thicker layer of acrylic paint cause problems? 
Robert will be the expert here but I have use acrylic glazes to enhance certain colours to add depth. Also, as with oils, you can do a toned painting and build up transparent layers with glazes to gradually build colours. I've not had any problems.
Answered this elsewhere, but in case you don't see it - no, that would create no problems at all.  Acrylics dry in different ways to oil - from the inside out, as the water evaporates - the only slight problem MIGHT be that even acrylic benefits from a little curing time: adding your brightest highlights too soon can make them sink a bit, which leads to the conception that acrylic dries darker.   I find that quite useful, in fact - saves me from having to worry too much about making my colour too garish; if I want very bright highlights, I might come back later, or just underpaint the object needing highlighting - eg, flowers - in opaque white, then add the colour on top when it's dry. But the short answer is indeed no - no need to worry at all.  
My apologies Robert, and many thanks for both replies. Blame our vastly different time zones, I did check before going to bed, and as it looked like the discussion about oils and glazing had progressed well past my question, I opened a new thread under the right subject (acrylics not oils). I didn't allow for the fact that you might come back to it. Anyway, all very useful information, especially the tip about using opaque white under highlights. And curing time before adding highlights.  Thank-you too Denise for your helpful input as well. I should look at doing more layering and glazing. 

Edited
by Sandra Kennedy

You've nothing to apologize for!  I just wasn't sure you'd seen the earlier reply - and you've probably asked a question in the mind of other painters, so - t'were well done!
Thanks Robert.