Bent board

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hope someone can give me some advice, please.............. I've done a painting of collage and acrylic on a Winsor & Newton canvas board, size 22 x 18 ins. I want to varnish and frame it, but I have noticed that the board has 'curved' slightly and am worried that the varnish may glaze and crack when I frame it. Hubby has suggested that I clip it down to another board before varnishing, but I am still concerned about the look of the surface. I have spent a lot of time on this picture (see 'Rondo' in my gallery) and would hate to spoil it. I'm planning to frame it in a gold frame but was planning to varnish it, with satin varnish, rather than put it under glass. Has anyone had a similar problem and, if so, how did you overcome it? Many thanks.
Just discovered your thread Neil containing a link to Kandinsky's 'Concerning the Spritual in Art' It's some years since I read the book - I picked up a copy in a Cheltenham bookshop. I suppose the book drew on the ideas of Madame Blavatsky and the Theosophy Movement which attracted avant garde artists of Kandinsky's generation. Interesting too that you found it a good read - art claiming to be 'spiritually' inspired rarely gets taken seriously by contemporary critics. A contemporary artist whose work has a sublime and by implication a spiritual feeling is David Blackburn - I confess to being a fan! You'll find his work at: http://www.hartgallery.co.uk/artists/blackburn/index.htm By the way. Why mention that the site has nothing to do with you? Would it matter if it did? I'd better mention that The Hart Gallery website has nothing to do with me either. In case I offend other peoples sensibilities - as I seem prone to do. So I hope your thread will simply be focussed on Kandinsky's book
Hi Neil I'm sorry to interupt your thread but on of the other threads you mentioned how to treat feathers in order to use them with inks...I now can't find it...I found a lovely feather in the garden and have just washed it and let it dry so I would love some info from you please...given you have the time...I had a lovely Raven's feather in the 80's and used it a lot
Not really a thread Patsy just a link... have pm'd :-D
As ever Neil you got me thinking is this him? Wassily Kandinsky 1864-1944 Russian/French painter? Principle of "inner-need"? that impulsive metaphysical & spiritual expression in art...? Simplified expressionist landscapes...that turned abstract c. 1910? The horse-rider motif in his work...? It became the group symbol of the Der Blaue Reiter [the blue riders?]
One and the same Mel... there was some interest in Theosophy but more influence later on in Gurdjieff and his followers in the UK led by Bennett who I joined with a group in Kingston many years ago... but that's a long story.
Sorry no life stories on here Mel particularly from the postwar 50's and 60's. >:-(
The researcher in me has got the bug...drat..George Ivanovich Gurdjieff [Armenian]1866-1949)?
Words Mel :-S I am a now simple painter who obviously wishes to show my paintings. I paint under my real name and show work in Devon. I have no interest in fame or fortune, and do not do web logs or personal information, particularly from a very long and very private road seeking out truth and knowledge. My paintings are me and can be seen in a gallery see my details, and the first exhibition of this year, The East Devon Arts Festival in Thorverton Parish Church, 12th-15th May. As Thea says Put to bed now :-D
Hi Neal...Your wish for privacy is respected. Your friendship in these pages [and in the gallery] is treasured by me. This is now a closed subject.
Hi Neil – I’ve just noticed an advert for a short break in Paris by Eurostar. The price includes tickets to the major Kandinsy retrospective at the Pompidou Centre. It reminded me of your thread and I thought I’d make a brief visit to see how you were getting on with ‘Concerning the Spiritual........’ and if you’d stimulated any interesting discussion Pleased to note your comment Euphrosene. I’ve also started to read it again and begun to realise what an important manifesto it was – insisting that great art was driven by internal necessity rather than visual appearances. So that the artist conveys internal feeling and emotion via the abstract visual elements of form and colour. He draws a parallel with music where the composer evokes feeling and emotion by the use of pure sound and harmony. These were quite profound and far reaching ideas for his time and I don’t think many contemporary artists fully grasp them. One who, in my opinion does to some degree, is David Blackburn who I mentioned earlier.