Advice on producing a realistic skin tone

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi All, I wonder if you can help me? I'm still relatively new at using acrylics after nine months but find them a fun and forgiving medium to use. At the moment I'm stretching my legs in terms of finding out what I like painting and I'm finding portraits tricky in terms of finding a natural colour for skin. Obviously everyone's skin tone is unique but I'm finding it tricky to get a nice natural base colour for white skin. I'm currently using Daler Rowney's System 3 range and have used their Flesh Tint but I'm finding that, whilst mixing the colour with Burnt Sienna and Burnt Umbra, that the tone is too dark. Originally I tried mixing a colour using mixes of white, crimson and yellow but it was rather haphazard. Do you have any mixes of colour that you use to produce a natural looking skin tone? Paint-wise I intend to switch over to the new Winsor and Newton Artist Acrylic range when my current paints run out. Any help will be much appreciate. Thanks, Oli