Add colour to gesso

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Just been reading up on this, about adding Yellow Ochre to white gesso primer. But how much does one add?
As much as you want to tint the surface . It's your choice . I just blob it in and play till it get what I want. It can be any colour .

Edited
by NorthLight

I use acrylic gesso tinted with ochre or raw sienna usually or, more occasionally burnt sienna and ultramarine, to get whatever ground colour I require. There is no set formula but mix to get the tint you want as a base. Incidentally I have also used white acrylic primer from the DIY store as a substitute for gesso and saved some pennies without any apparent detriment. I know I am not the first to do this. I also add some calcite (ground chalk) to the mix to produce a 'short' ground i.e. a base coat that is more absorbent but I work in oil so not sure if this works for acrylics. I know at least one person who uses Polyfilla instead of calcite without any problems. As with many things 'you pay your money and you take your chance'.
And it can be stored ok? I will be doing this in future.
By adding another colour to gesso primer, will this not affect the tooth?
I store it in an airtight jar and it keeps for weeks. So far the longest I have kept a mix would be about three months as I use it up bit by bit and then make another mix. It doesn't seem to affect the tooth but I put calcite in the mix anyway.
It shouldn't have much effect if any on the 'tooth', a) because acrylic 'gesso' is only a preparation of Titanium White acrylic paint, b) because you don't need so much colour to make quite a difference to your gesso: in other words, there'll be far more white in the mix than the other colour and its properties will be retained. Of course, you can just lay down your gesso, let it dry - or not, it doesn't matter, just a somewhat different effect - and then add your yellow ochre, or burnt sienna or whatever, either as a form of glaze, or, if the white's still wet, to modify it to your desired tone.
Robert, as ever is correct, acrylic gesso contains a lot of white titanium dioxide and it needs a significant amount of coloured paint to shift it in any meaningful way. So just paint a base layer over it if you must. The white gesso base does make an applied colour more vibrant. So do you really want soot & white wash, worse still khaki art?