Acrylic pouring beginner problem

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hello everyone, I decided to give acrylic pouring a try, I am a total beginner in this. I'm purchased semi-liquid basic acrylic paints and a pouring medium. I mixed 60% paint / 40% medium and did a few tests. My question is, based on the pictures below, when being pulled with hair dryer, my paint creates huge 'empty' cells (see picture with the blue paint), not similar to what happens with silicon, so I'm wondering if I diluted my paint too much / not enough, or if that pour medium maybe holds too much silicone in it ? Or maybe it's another cause. My wish is not to have cells, i'm not a huge fan of these silicone effects, I d'like the color layer to hold together better and not break. Sorry for my english, i'm not familiar with these technical terms. THank you very much for your advices.
What surface are you painting on?  This may have something to do with it - but I don't use the pouring technique, and it doesn't appeal to me.  It does remind me a little of the marbling technique we were taught in bookbinding class (for endpapers) years ago, but that wasn't with using acrylic paints.  Something here is repelling the colour, or it's separating into cells because of the pigment particle size - do you stir the paint before pouring it?  I think that might be part of the answer: take a stick and give your paint a good stir, or if it's in bottles, give it an equally good shake.  
Hello Matt, I have been thinking about trying acrylic pour for a while, and have looked into the process, but haven't done it for real as yet... (the cost of buying new stuff, and needing a space to make a LOT of mess!) The silicone makes the cells.... the more silicone, the more cells, but also air bubbles in your paint mix can create unwanted cells, so you need to stir your paint slowly, and then let it rest before using. Also, you mentioned using a hairdryer - this could also be causing some unwanted cells, as heat brings cells out. There is a wealth of information online. If you search 'how to prevent cells in acrylic pour' you will certainly find specific answer. Helen
In my humble view, silicon with its chemical effect will go through the canvas ( as shown in the image above) … if you haven’t painted your canvas first ( color of your choice) before pouring the paint. 
You could try using mountboard - I've not done it for quite a while but it worked for me.