I don't understand art....

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
I thought I did, but now I don't. I think it might be my age. Is it a monster drawing/painting class? ; a meeting place to discuss the latest, best materials and best "how to do it" books to read? Are there specific rules and regs we have to follow, do we have to look like artists, dickie bows, cords, Biblical sandals and Gilbert O'Sullivan sleeveless pullovers for men, and Joan Baez sixties style floor-sweeping skirts, spectacles at ninety degree angles on top of the head, and flea market denim jacket and jeans for women as they stroll around humming "Hi-ho silver lining" in big straw hats ? (All except Daphne of course, she hums "There'll be bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover", and Lachlan who whistles "Heather on the Hill as he gets measured for yet another outrageous tartan suit) The other chap just dons a new pair of orange overalls and paints a goldfish. Or do we just paint pictures, take photographs and think "to hell with what the world may say?" (This is obviously just a bit of mischief time passing whilst I think of something to paint! ) It doesn't really need much comment and can be ignored at random. 😆
😄😄 I think I break all the so called rules when I paint. I don’t work out perspective by maths, or whatever you should do, I just look at and paint it, if it doesn’t look right, I start again. That said I don’t wear long skirts, straw hats or tartan either 😂 I don’t paint exact colours of landscapes. Shock, horror from Daphne. I think I break every rule in the so called ‘book’. I just enjoy and love to paint. Ellen
Wait - there are rules to this art thing??? Nobody said....
Dressing arty to me means wearing stuff that doesn't matter if it ends up covered in paint! A great excuse to keep wearing old holey jumpers!
Oh heck. Seems there are some rules to this art stuff that must be obeyed after all. My wife's getting her bloomers in a right uproar about acrylic paint on my clothes. Says one more pair of trousers with splodges and I have to wear an orange boiler suit like that "artist" chap on the telly. Oh dear. bet I'll look a right Constable in that. 😊
My art group's latest topic is "Gentleman Jack".
I'm with Lesley on this: believe in yourself. A simple staff to lean on is all I need. A simple staff to lean on and help me on my way. The strength of self-belief is mine. The strength of self-belief the staff on which I lean.
I think there are plenty of people trying to set rules, but if art isn't doing your own thing it's nothing. So many big name artists seem to have made their name by breaking the rules. If these 'rules' were binding, I don't think many of us would be doing it. Got to admit I don't really know what art is...especially from presented from the art establishment view. I recently watched a tv show about this years Royal Academy show, the art that got 'selected' seemed to be down to the selectors personal whims and fancy...a painting of a dog was selected and shown because the selector 'used to have a dog like that.' Does getting selected for shindigs like this make the works art? Is all the un-selected stuff not art? Of course not. I remain bemused by what art 'is.' Don't need to know...I just like making pictures. Love your 'artist' sketch, Sylvia.
Good to see people commenting and sharing strangely similar views (are we all strange?) :crazy:.Personal choice certainly doesn't follow patterns as the comments on selection boards seems to prove. I started painting things I thought folk might like but now I just draw and paint to please myself as lots of efforts pass by like Rupert's lonely clouds, unnoticed. "Some of the people, some of the time" is as true as it gets where pleasing is concerned. I always work from home as, living where I do,( There are more hoodies now than ever Sherwood forest saw) if I started carrying a sketch pad around folk would be checking Crimewatch files to see if I'd joined the police as an artist.( Aw, okay, I'm exaggerating a bit). I digress, I'm off to do some gardening to get painting brownie points for later. :hehe:
The art world is ruled by pomposity and sadly its got the better of me but there's hope on the horizon for soon I shall be reading arty bollocks for my PhD.
On a serious note I am putting together a short definition of Visual Art - not easy. I have read many definitions none of which seem to me to be able to give a simple explanation. They nearly all seem to get lost among the trees whereas, in simple terms, wood is wood. Anyway I'll post it under a different heading to see who agrees with me and if it can be improved. The trouble is we all see it differently but at least I'll have a go.
An absolute demon of a poem, Micheal. It got my laughing gear moving. As for the visual art thing...good luck with that!!
Showing page 1 of 2