After Ken Howard

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
My all time fave Brit painter. I am having a go at one of his Venice scenes, from The Artist magazine Feb 2016, to push myself. I scaled the size down to 50% of his work and laid out the basic shapes using a pencil, applied some gesso to give texture in the water then washed the lot in Cerulean Blue water colour, on heavy duty Daler Rowney cartridge paper.
Howard is my all time LIVING Brit painter not all time. I've been stuck for a few days, mainly because my stay-wet palette has given up and I threw it out today. But I have made do and done a bit today - not enough to post. EBAY have lost my replacement sponge layer for the palette too. Doesn't help
Ken Bromley art supplies (new catalogue just out) do the Masterson palette and sponges - may be more reliable than Ebay, they've always turned my orders around in record time.
Yes thanks Robert and Syd, got the catalogue too. Syd am using such and waiting for the proper job
Blocked in shapes, shaky hands rule, the crane like smudges above the buildings might have to be covered, but I suppose cranes like those do operate in the city or beyond. Not attempting to copy colours, will be doing my thing but I have the guide photo.
Hah silly me, the cranes are my original pencil drawings for domes etc.
Thanks Marjorie. Little more work. Reckon the buildings are done, need the domes etc. Water too blue. Maybe tomorrow.
Thanks Alan, no work on it today.
Just back today from four days in Venice and I can confirm there is no blue water even when the sun is shining. This week it was sunny every day and the canals were varied shades of green and turquoise, but it's coming along well Derek.
Cheers Stub, that's my recollection too. Will tweak, hopefully today
Thank you Alan. A little more today, fairly concentrated, but happier with the water. Domes OK I think, there'll be a few touch ups and highlight in the water and still some key shapes to add, but progressing.
Venice is there to be painted. I like the composition - framed by the left hand bank. It's going well. Venice water is often quite green, but you need blue for the reflection of the sky. I look forward to seeing the domes.
Showing page 1 of 2