July 2021 Challenge

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
A bit early for the next challenge, but I have next week off work! This year sees the 70th anniversary of Alice in Wonderland (a mere youngster compared to The Artist!) so this month's challenge is to go down the rabbit hole and paint your own wonderland scene.
Just a reminder to you all that I won't be at my desk next week - see you all in July!
Enjoy your time off Dawn, hope you get some good gardening weather!
Thought I would start the ball rolling with an original illustration of the white rabbit by John Tenniel as a bit of inspiration!
Lunchtime drawing in my moleskine, black concertina notebook with Fabre Castell polychromos pencils. Fixed- thank you Marjorie

Edited
by Carrie Flinte

Carrie, don’t know what you’re uploading from - computer, phone or ipad. If it’s phone or ipad, “edit” it, make sure it’s the right way up, press “ done” and it should upload the correct way on the site. Just the other day, under “ messy room” I forgot to do that and it came out sideways like yours. So remember to edit. Nice work by the way.
Thought of adding some giant toadstools, but decided to leave it as it is.  Pen and ink/watercolour on an acrylic ink background. Carrie, love your rabbit!

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Challenges are being met very well.I will have to think of something. Did you know Lewis Carroll based his book on a rare condition he suffered from called Todd's syndrome. It causes visual, time and hearing distortions. The condition is more commonly known as Alice In Wonderland syndrome. A bit of useless information for you.
That's interesting Denise - you learn something new everyday. I also didn't make it clear that it's the Disney film celebrating 70 years - the book is much older at 150!
these are a good start, I must admit to finding it hard for an original idea, trying to stay clear of copying. Just bit on posting photos the right way up, I always rotate mine 360 and save. that way always works for me.
Love your white rabbit against that dark and brooding background Jenny.  Another development of my sketch from yesterday, what is the rabbit so shocked at?  Well, the crocodile of course :)
I don’t know how you have all come up with such terrific ideas and designs which you have produced for this challenge, it’s difficult. Mainly I suppose because I have absolutely no imagination…..and I haven’t read the book. It’s taken me hours to do this, and it’s rubbish. I’ve tried to think of something not too obvious but strange all the same. The odd few bits I’ve picked up about the story and some of the pictures…..it all seems a tad menacing and a few of the  characters malevolent to say the least. I’ve used some printing and collage on a watercolour background.

Edited
by Fiona Phipps

Showing page 1 of 2